View Poll Results: Do you Backup your Fiery, and Workstations

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - I like to spend days with install disks and tweaking.

1 14.29%
  • I use Windows backup - I like to spend days with install disks

0 0%
  • I use a commercial Ghost (Clone) backup creator

2 28.57%
  • I use a alternative system

3 42.86%
  • I will be trying open source Clonezilla.org supported by donations

1 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Repair Installation - Backup

k_graham is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor k_graham is on a distinguished path

Default Repair Installation - Backup

I've also been hit more than once with the need to reinstall and it is a pain to get the settings and patches just right.

EFI Fiery does not include a Backup method other than a re-install from factory disks.

Windows NT Backup is on Windows XP professional disks, probably also Windows 2000, but not disks included with EFI Fiery.

ntbackup.exe is file desired from Windows 2000 or XP Professional

It appears to be limited to about 4 gigs file, save C, D, E partions separately and backup system state.

This should help one to restore some of the imposition configurations etc. that you've created but still requires a install using Fiery disks.

Alternatives ?

www.clonezilla.org provides a free backup CD download of about 100 megs. It works a treat to back up any computer by creating a ghost image. I've used it to successfully backup and restore my Fiery from a Western Digital terabyte drive, though with its compression you are able to put many cloned systems on 1 drive, and as I now do - a before and after of any update or patch.

Instructions make it simple to use, burn to CD not DVD if you need to back up systems supporting only CD.

http://www.clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live/doc/

For my Docucolor 12 I had to save via network option as I could not get the Docucolor 12 to use the USB ports - not sure of that one.

Ken
    Last edited by k_graham; 07-16-2009 at 11:55 PM.
    Ken Graham
    Docucolor 240, 250, 12, 12 external RIPs EXP250
    Canon IR7200, 105 with M1, M2 external RIPs
    and 1 broken down Ikon CPP500 internal RIP
    Community Printers.com

Sent from Linux computer -- see http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

Default Fiery Backup

EFI do have a Backup/Restore utility called "Fiery Clone". Basically ghosts the image onto either your E: Drive or alternatively onto a USB stick (>8GB).
    It is very new & has only recently come out. I have used it & it works fine.
    However I think it will only work on System 6 & above. So on a DC12 running either X12 or EX12, I think your out of luck..

k_graham is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor k_graham is on a distinguished path

Quote Originally Posted by thistlegorm
    EFI do have a Backup/Restore utility called "Fiery Clone". Basically ghosts the image onto either your E: Drive or alternatively onto a USB stick (>8GB).
    It is very new & has only recently come out. I have used it & it works fine.
    However I think it will only work on System 6 & above. So on a DC12 running either X12 or EX12, I think your out of luck..
    Well no I am in luck as Clonezilla.org did back it up. What I probably need to know is how to get into the BIOS so USB ports could be turned on if disabled - they did not work because NT did not support them but as Clonezilla is being ran via Linux from a CD it should, unless in the Bios is permanently disabled. As we only use the Docucolor 12 as backup the current backup should do the trick via network. If EFI's utility is backing up to its own Erive its not a backup, it could still fail to restore or run if the E partion is damaged. I'm backing up the entire drive including spaces between partitions.

Ken
    Last edited by k_graham; 07-24-2009 at 11:53 PM.
    Ken Graham
    Docucolor 240, 250, 12, 12 external RIPs EXP250
    Canon IR7200, 105 with M1, M2 external RIPs
    and 1 broken down Ikon CPP500 internal RIP
    Community Printers.com

Sent from Linux computer -- see http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/