Thread: Grayscale on one side of duplex

Hybrid View

Default Grayscale on one side of duplex

Can CWS5 set up a job so that side 1 of the press sheet is color and side 2 of the press sheet is grayscale. That would really save my butt if that could be done with the new software updates.

Thanks
    Canon 7000vp
    Command Workstation 5.0.1.14
    Windows XP SP2
    imagePRESS Server A3100

Jordan,
    Unfortunately that's not possible on your Fiery; it's not something that can be enabled just in CWS. We are investigating this feature for the future.

-Mike

SharonH is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor SharonH is on a distinguished path

Hi Jordan,
    IF.... you are brave, you have Paper Catalog and Color Profiler Suite then I have a workaround. But just so you know, yes we are working on resolving this without the following workaround.

The short:
    Create or select a given substrate in paper catalogue. For the front side assign a color profile and for the back side assign a black and white profile. When printing your job choose media defined profiles and the front will print in color and the back in black and white.

For the really detailed explanation of how to create the black and white profile in Color Profiler Suite please see the post on the Fiery Color and Imaging Forum:
    http://fieryforums.efi.com/showthread.php?t=901

Sharon Henley
    Sharon Henley
    Product Manager
    Fiery Color & Imaging, Fiery Color Profiler Suite

Gavin is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor Gavin is on a distinguished path

Would the easier solution not be to convert the pdfs of the grayscale side to grayscale and leave the colour ones as they are and let the rip determine which is colour and which is black?

I have had this on numerous duplex jobs and, providing the second side is all greyscale, it will print only in black.
    Konica Minolta bizhubpress C1085 - Fiery System FS150 Pro
    Fiery IC-308 v2.0 - CWS 5.8.0.39 SP2 on Windows 7 Pro SP1

Konica Minolta bizhub Pro C6501 (65C-KM V 3.0) - Fiery System 9
    Xerox DC250 (DC250 V 1.2) - Fiery System 8e Release 2
    Fiery Pro80 65-55C-KM PS Color Server 3.0a eu - CWS 5 (5.7.0.29) on Windows XP SP2

EFI CWS 6.1 (6.1.0.28) on Dell Studio XPS running Windows 7 Pro
    AMD Athlon II X4 640 3.00GHz 4Gb RAM

Sharon, I will look into creating the color profiles for each side. I am glad you guys are working on a solution for this. Thank you for getting back to me.

Gavin,
    Sometimes a pdf can not be converted to grayscale perfectly. I use pitstop to do this and in most cases the background of a logo will go from white to a light gray. Which is not acceptable. Other times, the pdf is created in a way that will not allow me to change any colors in any way.
    Also, if I tell the costumer to create there file in black, which we try to do, I don't always know if it is completely black. There could be one pixel that is color or they could have used Rich Black not knowing it is made up of all four colors and then my canon treats it as a color page.

Thank you all for your responses.
    Canon 7000vp
    Command Workstation 5.0.1.14
    Windows XP SP2
    imagePRESS Server A3100