Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: IMPOSE - right thing for me?

Default IMPOSE - right thing for me?

Hello everybody,

we have new Xerox Docucolor 242 in our company, so we are absolutely new to this kind of printing and also new to Command Workstation 5.
    We have little difficulties with the print setup. I will give you an example. Client sends us his business card in PDF. We pay our supplier for each printed SRA3. So now we need to put business cards on 1 SRA3 page. We could do it in Illustrator or InDesign, but it looks like a lot of work for me... too time-consuming. So I was looking for some kind of software which could place many objects onto one page. I found out, that Impose could be something for me, but I am not sure, because it has many features that I will probably never use.

Could you tell me, how do you prepare things like these for print?
    Is Impose right thing for me?
    Does the demo in Command Workstation 5 include all of Impose features?
    What is the difference between Impose and Compose?
    It seems like no demo of Compose is available in CW5, am I right?
    As I understand it, to run Impose I need hardware dongle that I have to buy... but my xerox supplier knows nothing about that. Where can I buy it and what is the approximate price?

Thank you very much for your repply

Andy
    Command Workstation 5
    Windows Xp Professional SP3

XEROX Docucolor 242

Hi Andy,

Yes, I think Impose could be very useful for you. One of the nice parts of SeeQuence Impose is that there's a demo mode built into CWS5 so you can experiment with all aspects of Impose before purchase. All the functionality of Impose is available to you. The only limitation of not having a license is that your job will print with watermarks (with a purchase of a license the watermarks disappear). Some of the Compose functionality is available in the demo mode, but not all.

Compose is best where the job is 1 page per sheet surface (possibly duplexed), and possibly including tabs and chapters. You can also assign media by page. Impose will give you all the controls you need to layout multiple pages per sheet (i.e., booklets or gang-up jobs like the business card job you reference). Both Impose and Compose allow you to add pages to your job from other jobs, or reorder/delete pages, and to assign media per sheet, and edit a page in Acrobat using Pitstop as desired. SeeQuence Suite is an option that includes both Compose and Impose functionality together. You can find some more information about these options at http://www.efi.com/cws5/seequence-suite/ and http://www.efi.com/support/productio...n/how-to/cws5/.

If you find that Impose meets your needs (and I hope you do), your Xerox supplier is the best means of getting the software. I will work with our sales channel to see what we can do to help.

Also, in response to your original question (how to get jobs like this to print), it's very easy in Impose. With a single business card in a file, you can step and repeat that business card multiple times on a single sheet surface. You can also assign trim lines to match up to the files' edges (trimming off bleeds if necessary) to allow for easy cutting after printing.

I hope that helps; let us know if you have further questions. If others on the forum can't answer them, then they may be very much interested in the questions

-Mike

Thank you for your reply, it helped me a lot.
    Command Workstation 5
    Windows Xp Professional SP3

XEROX Docucolor 242

Hi, Mike, I appreciate your answer to Andy's question, but I'd like to know if there is an answer for the question of price.

We operate an ImagePRESS C1 with 1.5.0f25 version (Windows XP) of Fiery CWS. it includes the graphics arts edition (we can impose with the hardware dongle).

Recently I located the new CWS5 for Mac - which is pretty super, btw - but of course we did not attempt to experiment with the hardware dongle for fear of ruining something. We can however demo the impose features with the aforementioned watermark. Is it simply a matter of moving the USB dongle from the Windows PC to the Mac, or do we need to purchase a licence upgrade (and if so, how much cost would it be), or is this something that Canon needs to address on our behalf?

thanks
    Quentin

It's as simple as moving the USB dongle from the Windows PC to the Mac. There's no worry of harming the dongle. On the Mac you would need Acrobat 8 or 9 Professional but it sounds like you already have one of these versions since you mentioned running in demo mode.

Talking

Thanks, Bruce

yes I do have Acrobat 9 Professional. Just like the good man says, I just grabbed the USB dongle off the other PC, installed it onto one of the open ports on the front of my Mac Pro tower, and I didn't even have to reboot or anything: CWS 5 was already launched prior to adding a PDF and imposing it. I even had the ability to save the custom imposition settings (which I couldn't do before)... The demo watermarks disappeared and the imposed file printed just fine!! WOW, I'm really impressed how simple this transition was.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce_W
    It's as simple as moving the USB dongle from the Windows PC to the Mac. There's no worry of harming the dongle. On the Mac you would need Acrobat 8 or 9 Professional but it sounds like you already have one of these versions since you mentioned running in demo mode.
    OK, here's my next question: What if more than one operator wants to use the impose dongle, can the dongle be mirrored, duped or hacked so multiple people don't have to share it? Otherwise, we're back to putting the dongle back onto a shared PC workstation.

Quentin

The dongle is like a single user license key and cannot be duplicated. If more than one user at a time needs to utilize the software additional dongles would need to be obtained from your authorized dealer.

Although in CWS5, it's possible for the one user who has the impose license to create an imposition template in SeeQuence. Then that impose template can be shared with other users and accessed directly from job properties to take advantage of a predefined imposition workflow.

I have CWS4 and Impose with dongle on a Windows 2000 PC

On an XP PC I have upgraded to CWS5, Fiery 1.2 Controller (on DC240), but do not have the Impose function anymore, after plugging in the dongle. I presume i have to install the EFI Impose Software.

Is it possible to upgrade to the EFI Sequence Impose Suite and what is the process.

I will call Xerox tomorrow, but they normally take 1-3 days to answers software support calls.

Many Thanks for your help.

Tahir

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast