+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fiery Freeform. Query on images with invisible background

morgles is offline Fiery Certified Professional morgles is on a distinguished path

Default Fiery Freeform. Query on images with invisible background

Hi there,

I have to print certificates with variable data on them, the usual stuff ie: name, address etc.... except each certificate also has a signature printed on them.

I have saved the signatures as B&W tif files and placed them in position with a transparent background using Indesign, I then generated a pdf containing the variable elements (including these signatures).

I have created a master pdf with my background imagery and registered this on to the system and have linked my variable pdf (with the signatures) to this master.

Unfortunately, when the certs print the variable signature is placed on a white box rather than being transparent.

This isn't an issue when I output a composite pdf from Indesign or if I copy the signature from one pdf and paste it into the master using Acrobat.

It looks like the VDP freeform tool is not honouring the transparent background.

Does anyone know, are images with a transparent background compatible with the Freeform tool?

I've tried lots of different combinations of colour options ie: composite OP on/off etc.

I've also tried the "remove white ppt background also".

Has anyone any other ideas, a different file format for the signatures perhaps?

Thanks in advance.

kmbs-dcd is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor kmbs-dcd is on a distinguished path

My first thought is that somewhere in the transition between the TIFF with a transparent background and the PDF overlay the transparency became a white box. I just have not thought of a way to verify this independently of the results you are seeing.

morgles is offline Fiery Certified Professional morgles is on a distinguished path

Hi kmbs-dcd,

Thanks for the response

I can verify that there's no issue with the transparency when it's exported to pdf, i've checked this by copying the signature from one pdf document to another and after doing so, the transparency is maintained.

I've also ripped a composite pdf with both master layer & overprint layer as one pdf and there's also no issue.

As far as I can see, It only becomes an issue when Freeform merges the 2 pdf's together, that's when I get the white box.

Thanks again for the reply.

morgles,

I have seen this when I was trying to use drop shadow effects on variable text over a master. Freeform could not handle this as it simply places the variable PDF over the master. My drop shadows and apparently your signatures build transparency into the file that freeform cannot raster on a record by record basis. I'm not sure if "overprint" in InDesign will help you out here, but maybe? You may also try a bitmap file format?

I know that more sophisticated (and $$$) VDP software like XMPie or EngageIT, can handle this because they output PPML files that allows for variable graphics. You need the bigger fiery server to print PPML files tho.

Good luck!
    Shawn

Thanks Shawn.

I thought that might be the reason but had to ask the experts.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read my question.

+ Reply to Thread