+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Color matching

Default Color matching

Howdy all. I am trying to match our 7 brand colors to make sure they print out accurately on all my media. All 7 colors are Pantone colors that I can call up from the spot color library. Some of them are slightly off when printed, some of them are WAY off when printed. Only thing I've done so far is calibrate using my plain (uncoated) paper, as well as my matte coated and gloss coated paper with the spectrophotometer. Not sure what the next step is.

Doyle is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor Doyle is on a distinguished path

Use Spot-On to adjust your output values for each output profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
    Use Spot-On to adjust your output values for each output profile.
    OK. If I change the spot-on for each output profile will it automatically apply to each paper type (coated matte, coated gloss, synthetic, etc.) or do I need to set each paper catalog entry along with the output profile when I do spot-on?

You might also want to check the Delta E measurement between your PMS colors and the CMYK mix in Spot On also. The lower the number the closer to an exact match and the easier it may be to get a color you are happy with. If the number is too large (say over a 7 or 10) you most likely wont be able to get a good match.

Good luck!
    Shawn

Doyle is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor Doyle is on a distinguished path

Quote Originally Posted by radji View Post
    OK. If I change the spot-on for each output profile will it automatically apply to each paper type (coated matte, coated gloss, synthetic, etc.) or do I need to set each paper catalog entry along with the output profile when I do spot-on?
    It will only apply to the output profile in use. It will not matter what paper you run using that output profile. But of course you don't use the same output profile for different types of paper do you?

Steve0 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor Steve0 is on a distinguished path

Bingo! That is exactly right. Before you make a move in Spot-On Color, the first thing you've got to do is to select the media (hopefully using the paper catalog) and output profile. If you don't do that first, then none of the adjustments you make will apply to the paper you're probably going to print your job on.

In other words, the context in which you make your spot color adjustments in Spot-On (meaning, paper selection and output profile) should be the same as the job. Don't do that, and you're wasting time. (Believe me, we all learned the hard way!)

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnW View Post
    You might also want to check the Delta E measurement between your PMS colors and the CMYK mix in Spot On also. The lower the number the closer to an exact match and the easier it may be to get a color you are happy with. If the number is too large (say over a 7 or 10) you most likely wont be able to get a good match.
    All the Delta E values for the 7 colors are around 1. Highest is 1.71. I figured that is close enough to the actual Pantone that no one will know the difference (except me).

Quote Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
    It will only apply to the output profile in use. It will not matter what paper you run using that output profile. But of course you don't use the same output profile for different types of paper do you?
    I actually do. All said and done I run about 20 different papers thru my Ricoh 7100 regularly. I have only been using 4 profiles: the Plain, Coated Matte and Coated Gloss that came default with CWS and a Magnetic Paper profile since that had a very unusual coating so I figure it was best to do it's own calibration.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve0 View Post
    Bingo! That is exactly right. Before you make a move in Spot-On Color, the first thing you've got to do is to select the media (hopefully using the paper catalog) and output profile. If you don't do that first, then none of the adjustments you make will apply to the paper you're probably going to print your job on.

In other words, the context in which you make your spot color adjustments in Spot-On (meaning, paper selection and output profile) should be the same as the job. Don't do that, and you're wasting time. (Believe me, we all learned the hard way!)
    I am glad I am asking then. Would it be better for me to do an output profile for each paper catalog group I use? Such that, I know my uncoated Hammermill 32lb should have the same output profile no matter if I run the Letter, Ledger, or 12x18 size. So one output Profile for that group of media. Then an additional calibration and profile for each media with different sizes of the same media using the same profile?

I am glad I am asking then. Would it be better for me to do an output profile for each paper catalog group I use? Such that, I know my uncoated Hammermill 32lb should have the same output profile no matter if I run the Letter, Ledger, or 12x18 size. So one output Profile for that group of media. Then an additional calibration and profile for each media with different sizes of the same media using the same profile?
    That is the best way to do it.

Steve0 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor Steve0 is on a distinguished path

Right again! It's doesn't pay to get crazy creating profiles for each and every sheet that you use. It's fair to say that the white point of a particular brand's 80# gloss text is the same as their 100# gloss cover. So why make multiple profiles when you can make do with one?

I'll take it further. Most of my customers just create "buckets" -- a single profile for all their coated stocks, and another for all their uncoated sheets. Anything beyond that -- for some weird sheet, like the magnetic stock Doyle mentioned -- is on you.

All that being said, the integration between Color Profiler Suite and Command Workstation has become so tight, so good, that creating a few extra color profiles doesn't represent a whole lot of extra effort!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve0 View Post
    Right again! It's doesn't pay to get crazy creating profiles for each and every sheet that you use. It's fair to say that the white point of a particular brand's 80# gloss text is the same as their 100# gloss cover. So why make multiple profiles when you can make do with one?

I'll take it further. Most of my customers just create "buckets" -- a single profile for all their coated stocks, and another for all their uncoated sheets. Anything beyond that -- for some weird sheet, like the magnetic stock Doyle mentioned -- is on you.

All that being said, the integration between Color Profiler Suite and Command Workstation has become so tight, so good, that creating a few extra color profiles doesn't represent a whole lot of extra effort!
    Agreed. Since I want to be accurate with my colors, I don't mind creating profiles for each media group. Problem is if I have to make slight adjustments to a single spot color on an output profile, can I make that adjustment without choosing a specific media from the my paper library and still have that output profile apply that adjustment to all the custom papers I have it defaulted to?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast