+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Color matching

Doyle is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor Doyle is on a distinguished path

Quote Originally Posted by radji View Post
    Agreed. Since I want to be accurate with my colors, I don't mind creating profiles for each media group. Problem is if I have to make slight adjustments to a single spot color on an output profile, can I make that adjustment without choosing a specific media from the my paper library and still have that output profile apply that adjustment to all the custom papers I have it defaulted to?
    Technically yes when the conversion takes place the output values you set for that output profile will be applied no matter what paper in chosen. Will it print or look the same? Probably not based on the differences of papers. With that in mind when you use Spot-On to set the output values for a spot color on one paper they many not look the same on other papers you use that profile for.

That is something you will have to determine based on your needs. Example 80# and 100# text from the same brand may be close but may not be very close for 80# and 100# cover of the same brand. So you may want to create a calibration/profile for each paper or group of papers like one for the text weight and one for the cover weight.

I print a lot of high-end color critical work and have determined the best approach for me is to create a calibration/profile for each paper. Then based on the needs of the job there may be more GCR variations and color edits made for that paper. With this approach I end up with a very long list of output profiles, so that is why I have been after the EFI people for at least a decade to have the dropdown lists for output profiles sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
    Technically yes when the conversion takes place the output values you set for that output profile will be applied no matter what paper in chosen. Will it print or look the same? Probably not based on the differences of papers. With that in mind when you use Spot-On to set the output values for a spot color on one paper they many not look the same on other papers you use that profile for.

That is something you will have to determine based on your needs. Example 80# and 100# text from the same brand may be close but may not be very close for 80# and 100# cover of the same brand. So you may want to create a calibration/profile for each paper or group of papers like one for the text weight and one for the cover weight.

I print a lot of high-end color critical work and have determined the best approach for me is to create a calibration/profile for each paper. Then based on the needs of the job there may be more GCR variations and color edits made for that paper. With this approach I end up with a very long list of output profiles, so that is why I have been after the EFI people for at least a decade to have the dropdown lists for output profiles sorted.
    Wow, that's a lot of output profiles.

Definitely agree with the different profiles needed between the text and cover stock. I have been seeing that very frequently lately. I am going to group my output profiles the same as you said.
    Output Profile 1: Paper Brand A, plain, 20# to 80# text
    Output Profile 2: Paper Brand A, coated gloss, 20# to 80# text
    Output Profile 3: Paper Brand A, plain, 67# to 110# cover

...and so on and so forth. When all is said and done, I shouldn't have more than 20 output profiles. And I will associate them as default to their correct paper library entries.

Another thing is I have not really setup (or even downloaded) color profiler suite, but I plan to do it very soon. How important is it to set the white point value for each of these papers? Is the differences in wp so significant that it should be done with each output profile?

Doyle is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor Doyle is on a distinguished path

Another thing is I have not really setup (or even downloaded) color profiler suite, but I plan to do it very soon. How important is it to set the white point value for each of these papers? Is the differences in wp so significant that it should be done with each output profile?
    As for setting white point you would definataly need Color Profiler Suite installed. And if I read it correctly the White Point setting in only in effect if rendering intent is set for Absolute Colormetric. Not something I would want to do. Unless there is another way to set white point, maybe with some third party software. Seems it would be easier to just make a new calibration and profile.

Anyone know how to reset the spot color data for the output profile curves back to default?

Anyone know how to reset the spot color data for the output profile curves back to default?
    There is a reset to factory defaults button.

Does that reset all the output profiles or all the CWS settings?

That button only appears in the spot color you are editing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2