+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blank page counting as black pages

Question Blank page counting as black pages

Hi,

Could you tell me why blank pages are counting as black pages (Xerox engine) with FS200 Pro and not with FS 300 Pro?

Is there a tag, PS command or something to add or modify to avoid this behavior on FS200 Pro and tell engine not to count these blank pages?

Hope you can help me

Waiting for your answer
    Best regards

Eric

Can I assume you mean how the pages are counted by the engine, in the meter count on the engine?

If so, then this is an engine specific setting, which on some engines can be configured by a technician.

Hi,

Yes I mean how pages are counted by the (Xerox) engine.
    So nothing to do with Fiery SW then?

Regards
    Eric

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

Hello, as I write this I am preparing to be shot down ? so here goes... how is a click generated ? on a Xerox machine this is defined as a sheet of paper that exits the machine via the fuser. If you wish to test this strategy & your device supports Copying - simply place a blank sheet of paper on the glass & photocopy - the "blank" sheet of paper will exit the machine & you will see an increment in the BW section of the meter reading - I didn't copy anything ? however you still used all of the Xerographic engine & fuser to produce nothing.. that you get charged for.

I think what you might be experiencing between the FS200 & the FS300 codebase - is that with FS300 Impose does not automatically pad out with blank sheets ? I think it assumes that the Pre Press have done their job ? whereas on FS200 Impose it will automatically will pad out.. maybe this is the issue you are seeing ?
    Remember you are what you eat ! I'm a twix..

adause is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor adause is on a distinguished path

Actually the copy test might not be the best test in case some foreign object (dirt, grime, etc.) is seen by the scanner. However, I have the same problem with all the Ricohs we've had. So when, for example, printing a booklet and the pdf has blank pages, when duplexed the blank page counts as a b/w click.

We have never understood what is making this do that. As far as a sheet exiting the printer constitutes a click that doesn't explain why 1/0 is counting as two separate clicks.

If I missed something, please advise.

thistlegorm is correct. Any page leaving the fuser is charged a click. Drums are turning, developer and toner augers are turning and waste toner is being generated. Basically all the consumable parts that your clicks are paying for are doing work and suffering wear and tear. A simplex sheet is charged one click and any sheets making a turn in the duplex unit are charged a 2nd click as they then exit the fuser a 2nd time.

adause - without seeing your file and how the specific pagination lends itself to blanks, I am guessing this is what you are seeing. it would be pretty odd that the blank side of the sheet would need to deliver face-down to the booklet maker and thus not need flipped in the duplex unit. We would also need to assume that the engine would recognize that this sheet did not need duplexed and run it right thru. The other problem would be that the sheet printed before it that did need duplexed is still in the duplex unit awaiting its 2nd side.

Cheers,
    Shawn

adause is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor adause is on a distinguished path

Okay I see what I missed. Exiting the "fuser" is obviously what I missed in is statement.

Well, given that, that makes sense when do the book scenario I described. The book is being duplexed and some pages are blank on one side or the other so, that is why the blanks are getting charged a k click. Interesting I guess that does all make sense now and actually the charge for the k click kinda does make sense.

Thank you guys for explaining that.

+ Reply to Thread