+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Windows 10 Updates, Firewall, & Defender Issues

Jim_O is offline Fiery Certified Professional Jim_O is on a distinguished path

Default Windows 10 Updates, Firewall, & Defender Issues

Recently we have been encountering a number of issues related to Windows 10 updates performing downloads and updates during production runs. In many of these cases it slows the Fiery down to a crawl to the point where end-users are unable to meet their deadlines. In some cases we’ve had operators do forced reboots to terminate the update process, which then resulted in corrupting system software and eventually leading to requiring a software reload.

During these slowdowns, we’ve had reports of CPU usage going over 100% (which I didn’t know was even possible) and hard drive usage being max’d out during the process. Then as soon as the update completes, it was as if nothing ever happened.

With Windows 10, it appears as if Microsoft has eliminated many of the controls and settings related to updates. Another issue related to Windows 10 is that after disabling Windows Firewall and Windows Defender, it somehow re-enables Firewall and Defender without user intervention. Granted, none of these issues are necessarily EFI-induced however, it does give the appearance of the Fiery being at fault.

That being said, do you have an "official" recommendation on how Windows 10 should be configured on the Fiery Servers out there, to reduce or eliminate these issues?

Hello, I didn't realise any Fiery servers ran on Windows 10, which server is it?

I can only speak for Konica Minolta Fiery's ... IC-313 ver 2.0, IC-315 ver 2.0, & MIC-4150 ver 1.1.

This problem appears to be resolved, EFI has written a patch which has eliminated the issues. Upon more in-depth investigation, the Fiery Server slowdown (in many cases actual halting of in-progress print jobs) wasn't a direct result of the OS performing downloads and updates.

Hi Jim_O,

Out of curiosity, do you know the FIT ID# for this patch?

Thank you,
    l-

EFI is working on the patch for release

This does sound like something i've seen on a few Fiery servers.
    They are running Windows 8.1 tough.

I've seen that the 'windows system page file' was set to static 8192mb instead of the default 'windows managed pagefile'.

So when the Memory (default 4GB) used it starts to use the swapfile full time... and if the swapfile are maxed out the CPU will go boinkers ... this will slow down the system to a halt...

could OP please try and take a look on the system settings of windows and see if the pagefile are locked down?
    if so, it would be nice to hear from Fiery why this is ...

Steve0 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor Steve0 is on a distinguished path

This question belongs in a new thread

+ Reply to Thread