+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question About FS 300 - New options

Question Question About FS 300 - New options

Hi

Could you please give me more details about new options introduced with FS300 :
    - Dynamique HD text and Graphics
    - Text and Graphic Sharpness
    - Black text and Graphic anti-aliasing
    - Color text and Graphic enhancement
    - Trailing edge compensation

I must admit I'am little confuse how/when to use them...
    Could we (of course depending on Job content) use all these option together ?
    Is there any drawback?

Waiting for your feedback

Hav a nice day
    Eric

Hi there,

I have passed your enquiry onto our Color Experts, who should reply soon.

DragonLeaves is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor DragonLeaves is on a distinguished path

Trailing Edge Compensation: In some engines, when trying to print tiny tiny text made of a mix of cmyk, you would perceive a kind of bevel effect to one side of the text. This happens due to the engine, but also perhaps since you are cutting halftones rosettes in half.

When you see this bevel effect on tiny text of mixed cmyk, use this options to add a one pixel line of the closest primary around the text to nullify this problem. Try also printing your text at 300dots instead.

Hoping to hear more from the experts myself!!!

As you may have noticed it is taking a while to get all these answered. These are not color features, they are imaging features and most are engine-specific so some research was required.

Thanks to DragonLeaves for the answer on Trailing edge compensation which like Text and Graphic Sharpness, Black text and Graphic anti-aliasing and Color text and Graphic enhancement are partner-specific engine features that Fiery provides controls to enable but which are developed by the press manufacturer. Hence the ongoing research. I do have one answer for you today for a feature that is a Fiery feature but which is only available for certain presses:

Dynamic HD Text and Graphics (engine specific)
    Dynamic HD Text and Graphics is a Fiery exclusive feature that reproduces accurately ultra-thin lines, small text,
    and fine details in the printed output. It also delivers lead/trail edge correction—a unique functionality that evens
    outs the color of the leading edge and the trailing edges of a character by compensating for the typically darker
    appearance of one edge and the lighter appearance of the other edge. It allows the Fiery to process files at 1200
    dpi, preserving high detail content and reducing jaggedness associated with halftoned, non-saturated objects.

I got this from the FS200 Pro Product Guide found here.

https://www.efi.com/library/efi/docu...e_pg_en_us.pdf

We are working on an FS300 Guide that should be posted soon, but the FS200 descriptions are accurate since none of these features are new in FS300.

More to come on the other features next week.

~Lou

In general to learn more about the Image Quality options, please refer to the user manuals of your Fiery server. They have complete descriptions and often helpful images showing the effects of each option on and off. The options available will vary by Fiery model.

Here's what I could find on Dynamic HD text and graphics:
    The Dynamic HD text and graphics print option is used to render the text and graphic (such as line art) objects in a job with high resolution, such as 1200 dpi, resulting in clearer text and sharper graphics. Dynamic HD text and graphics determines the level of enhancement applied to text and graphics.
    • Select Off to not apply a level of enhancement.
    • Select On to give clear, sharp text with moderate enhancement for line art.

Dynamic HD text and graphics is supported for jobs that are processed through the PostScript interpreter or the Adobe PDF Print Engine (APPE).
    If you view a job with Dynamic HD text and graphics in ImageViewer, edges and lines may appear incorrect, but they are correct when printed.
    Dynamic HD text and graphics is not applied to smooth shades.
    Dynamic HD text and graphics will affect an image with a moiré pattern as the pattern may shift.

If you change any of the settings for Dynamic HD text and graphics in a processed job, you must reprocess the job.
    No particular resolution needs to be set on the press. There is no print option for resolution in the printer driver, but Dynamic HD text and graphics adjusts the print quality accordingly.
    Dynamic HD text and graphics improves the sharpness of high-contrast edges. Content containing only smooth shading (such as photos or gradients) do not benefit from this feature.
    The extra processing required by Dynamic HD text and graphics may affect throughput at print time for some jobs, depending on their content. Therefore, use this print option for high-contrast edges of line art and fine text, which may or may not overlap graphic elements.

Dynamic HD text and graphics OFF
    Name:  HD off2.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  79.6 KB

Dynamic HD text and graphics ON
    Name:  HD on2.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  82.3 KB
    Last edited by Greta_C; 06-01-2018 at 12:18 PM.

Hi there!

Thank you very much for all your precise and detailed answers
    It's clear now

BTW I had the opportunity last week to run test on EXP-6 Iridesse: I could easily see Quality improvement with Dynamic HD text and graphics ON.
    And I could see too performance impact on complex jobs mixing Color graphics and lines

Thanks for your time

Regards
    Eric

Here's some more details of the other features you asked about.

Text/graphics enhancement
    The Text/graphics enhancement print option, when selected, sharpens the edges of text and vector graphics.
    Note: The Text/graphics enhancement print option cannot be used in conjunction with the Dynamic HD text and graphics print option.
    If you desire increased quality when you print with Text/graphics enhancement , please select the Dynamic HD text and graphics print option and/or the Negative text/graphics enhancement print option

Black text/graphics anti-aliasing
    The Black text/graphics anti-aliasing print option smooths the edges of 100% black only text and graphics in 600 dpi mode.

I can't add high res images (like print res 300dpi+) here in the forum.
    So instead the images below appear magnified, as if you were viewing the images through a loupe or magnifying glass. I hope you get the idea.

Black text/graphics anti-aliasing OFF
    Name:  black text antialiasing large off.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  20.6 KB

Black text/graphics anti-aliasing ON
    Name:  black text antialiasing large on.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  21.5 KB

Color text and graphics enhancement
    The Color text and graphics enhancement print option makes the edges of text and graphics more defined and
    saturated, and CMYK screens sharper. The feature works in both 1200 and 600 dpi modes.

Trailing edge compensation
    Available Options: OFF, 1, 2, 3

The Trailing edge compensation print option adds the number of pixels you select to the trailing edge of individual characters to counteract a decrease in toner density on the trailing edge.

Technical note: This is an engine side feature to apply a boost in pixel values to compensate for the Trail Edge Deletion phenomenon seen in the xerographic process.

+ Reply to Thread