+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FreeForm/FusionPro/general VDP Question

Default FreeForm/FusionPro/general VDP Question

First off hello everyone. I just joined up but I have lurked on here for a while and have been able to answer quite of few questions by doing so.

My issue: Customer uses FusionPro for their VDP workflow. They use it to create PDF's which are then put in CW6, ripped and printed.
    They are unhappy with how long the processing/printing time monopolizes their machine.
    I did some follow-up w/FusionPro and they suggested the customer use PPML in lieu of PDF for a much faster Rip.
    I also found a thread on here that dealt with a slightly different problem but also suggested PPML.

Anyone on here have some experience w/FusionPro?
    I'm simply trying to ascertain what the quickest workflow would be for our customer, whether that be:
    - Customer continues to use FusionPro, but submits jobs as PPML (most likely scenario, I assume).
    - Customer combines FusionPro w/VDP functions available in their Fiery.

Our customer is comfortable and happy with FusionPro, so I don't think I want to steer them in a new direction like FreeForm. They just need the file(s) FushionPro creates to rip WAY faster.

Just picking the brains of those with more experience than I. Appreciate any insight.

Muchos gracias,

-JeffZ

kmbs-dcd is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor kmbs-dcd is on a distinguished path

JeffZ

You don't say what type of Fiery your customer has, which will determine both the speed of processing VDP, as well as the formats supported. In my experience (recently KM connected devices) with an embedded Fiery your customer will be limited to PDF processing, PPML will not be supported. External Fiery's generally support VDP formats (PPML, VPS etc). Additionally the embedded RIP will generally process the PDF as if it is a flat PDF even if it is a PDF/VT. So not only do the external Fiery's have more robust hardware to process faster, they will better leverage the available format options for FusionPro. Its been a while since I used FusionPro, but I remember there were several output options even within some of the format choices. The devil is in the details and its been too long since I have used FusionPro to be of use in directing you on what the best choices are.

kmbs-dcd,

Thank you for the response. I appreciate you taking the time. Since my main contact is out on vacation I do not know (yet) what exact model Fiery they are using, but it is safe to say that their Fiery is not embedded. As I am able to gather more information I will share it.

Thanks again.

Default shucks

Turns out it an IC-417... no PPML. Fiddlesticks.

JeffZ

Do you have anymore info on what types of VDP they are trying to print? If they are calling out variable images in addition to variable text, your only answer may be smaller batches of data. If, however, they are only using variable text, they should be able to use the native Fiery Freeform solution. It only entails creating two files, one as your "master" or the static art, and a second file with the variable.

Good luck!
    Shawn

Hi Shawn,

Long story short is that I was handed this issue and given little/inaccurate information ahead of time.

Since they ended up having one external Fiery and one embedded Fiery the customer has decided to only run their VDP jobs using the the external w/PPML. PPML cut the processing time by They want to continue to use their native FusionPro workflow and are not currently interested in FreeForm.
    FreeForm was my suggestion as it would allow them to run their VDP jobs on both machines. My guess is that they are staying with FusionPro to merge everything since they have already payed for it!!
    Currently, their variable file is pure text.

If their VDP volume increases, they will either upgrade to multiple external Fierys or implement FreeForm.

I very much appreciate your response!

-Jeff Z

As an aside, processing time going from PDF to PPML was nearly 100% faster. I am tempted to see how FreeForm would do in a similar situation.

1000 PDFs were taking roughly 37 minutes to process.
    A 1000 record PPML zip cut it down to about 15-20 seconds on average.

Obviously this is not a fair comparison since the Fiery was processing 1000 PDFs as individual/flattened files, but it is interesting!

+ Reply to Thread