+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do I ensure sequential job printing in filename order, not in the order received?

Steve0 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor Steve0 is on a distinguished path

Default How do I ensure sequential job printing in filename order, not in the order received?

My customer prints a long series of short files that are numerically named. He wants to print these files in filename order. However, files may be submitted to the Fiery out of sequence. So, for example, the files may be submitted in this order: file1, file3, file2.

The files are submitted through a Fiery Hot Folder, so that the desired properties are assigned to each job.

When the jobs show up in the CWS hold queue, it is possible to sort the display in filename order by clicking on the column heading, but apparently that does not determine the print order when those jobs are submitted to print.

It has been suggested to me that turning on Sequential Printing would ensure printing in filename order. But I believe Sequential Printing is designed to ensure printing in chronological (as-received) order. So this has not panned out for me.

Please help! How can I ensure printing in filename order, when that does not match up with chronological order?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve0 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor Steve0 is on a distinguished path

My brain hurts. I've been doing some test printing on a KM C6100/IC-315.

I created 15 test files, named "File 01," "File 02," and so on up to "File 15."
    I created a Server Preset so that output comes out face up and I can see the order of the prints coming out.
    I also created a Virtual Printer from that workflow, as well as two Hot Folders (one that goes to Hold, the other Process & Hold).

When I drag in the files in three nonsequential groups (Files 11-15, then Files 6-10, and finally Files 1-5), they print in the order submitted, not in filename order as desired.

When I drag in all the odd-numbered files and then all the even-numbered files, they print in filename order!

It makes no difference whether I drag to the Hold queue and then apply a workflow, or drag to the printer name, which brings up the Import dialog, and choose either preset or virtual printer, or drag to a hot folder.

When I drag in contiguous groups of files, they print in submit order.

When I drag in noncontiguous files (e.g., file3, file6, file9, then file2, file5, file8, then file 1, file4, file7) they print as desired, stitched into name order.

Note, in all the above scenarios, Sequential Printing is enabled.

It is also apparent that sorting in the hold queue of CWS is for display purposes only.

Can someone please explain what's going on here with Fiery's handling of job print order? More importantly, how can I make Fiery always print sequentially by filename?

Thanks,

Steve
    Last edited by Steve0; 05-10-2018 at 10:07 AM.

kmbs-dcd is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor kmbs-dcd is on a distinguished path

What you are seeing lines up with the published documentation from EFI:

Sequential Print: Enables Fiery servers to integrate into workflows that require jobs to be finished based on the order in which they were
    submitted. It does this by printing jobs following one another in a first-in-first-out (FIFO) order.

Given this information, if there is a way to do this within the Fiery platform, its probably going to have to be with JobFlow. While I've got this installed, I've never looked at it from this standpoint to know if/how to accomplish this using JobFlow.

Well, yeah, I figured, after testing, that Sequential Print was not going to be a player in any solution. The JobFlow suggestion is intriguing. I'll post an inquiry in the JobFlow forum, see if Hans has any ideas how to approach this. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread