+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any metrics for rated engine slow down when using VDP Masters?

aschodron is offline Fiery Certified Professional aschodron is on a distinguished path

Question Any metrics for rated engine slow down when using VDP Masters?

I'm printing a 188 page, LD, Duplex B&W PDF over a 2 Page, Color VDP Master. Adobe PDF Print Engine turned on, both files printed from PDFs (Creating the master from printed PDF, as well as merging the Variable Data, converting the file to PDF, and printing).

The PDL -> VDP setting is set to 10 pages.

Machine's rated engine speed is 65 PPM, from tray 5 LCC rated speed is 38 ppm when printing color on plain paper. For some reason, the VDP job described above, which is 94 sheets and 188 impressions when duplexed, is taking 00:06:50, or 6 mins, 50 seconds.

Is there a metric for how much VDP processing should slow the engine or print speed down?

DragonLeaves is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor DragonLeaves is on a distinguished path

Many engines, when having one page color, one page bw, will do some adjusting between each causing a slowdown. If you ran the job all in color, maybe adding 1 pixel of color in those bw pages, you'd confirm or infirm this.

aschodron is offline Fiery Certified Professional aschodron is on a distinguished path

Overall today we saw an improvement from what was reported by the primary end-user in the past. They were printing from Word in Color and we did our first test print of the variable data from Word and selecting Grayscale.

I will talk to our end-user and have them try it again with the PDF workflow choosing "color" as an option to see if we can squeeze some more performance from it, but what I've seen so far doesn't confirm the color settings to be the issue. It will be an interesting test!

+ Reply to Thread