+ Reply to Thread

Thread: (MAC) Indesign CS6 PDF Settings so can alter Spot Colours in CW

Default (MAC) Indesign CS6 PDF Settings so can alter Spot Colours in CW

Does anyone know how to send a PDF from Indesign CS6 (Mac) to Command Workstation so you can alter spot colours before printing?

Or at least send correct colours in first place??!

Work based issue so would really appreciate some help with this?!

kmbs-dcd is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor kmbs-dcd is on a distinguished path

The screenshots are from CC rather than CS6, but the settings should still apply to your version.

If you mean exporting a PDF with spot colors intact, then you need to make sure that the color conversion in the output section is set to "No Color Conversion".
    Name:  export.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  23.4 KB

If you are printing directly then you need to change the output to "Composite leave unchanged"
    Name:  print.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  37.9 KB

Somewhere there are some distiller profiles that you can install for Acrobat that set color management, resolution etc. but I don't remember for sure where they came from when I installed them years ago.

Cheers for that, I'll give it a go and see what I get, thanks again.

I have tried what you suggested and am having no luck, along with getting moaned at from out print department!

I have uploaded screen shots of my settings as they stand before I drop the PDF into the print queue, can you see if this seems correct?!

If so then its something they are doing wrong on the screen on the RIP I think!
    Attached Images      

kmbs-dcd is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor kmbs-dcd is on a distinguished path

Two things to check. In your export window, click on the "Ink Manager" button.
    Name:  ID Ink manager.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  80.6 KB
    Look to see that the spot colors are still on the list, and that you don't have the "All Spots to Process" or "Use standard lab values for spots" box checked.

Next if you have Acrobat professional you can check that the spots are in the PDF file using the Ink Manager option under the "Print Production" tool.
    Name:  production ink manager.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  88.7 KB

If your PDF has the spot colors listed, they are in the file. The next thing I would verify with the folks in your print department is if the spot names exactly match the colors they have in the Fiery Spot On libraries. These must be an exact case sensitive name match including spaces, parentheses etc.

I also notice that you have shown Reflex Blue as your spot color. While the print department should be able to adjust the output color, be aware that on almost any digital press they would have in use, they can at best choose which wrong color to use for Reflex Blue, they will not be able to get a color that gets very close to true Reflex Blue.

Gavin is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor Gavin is on a distinguished path

With the best will in the world you are never going to replicate spot colours on a 4-colour press, be it digital or conventional litho. At best you will achieve a 'near as dammit' colour match but, by the very nature of spot colours being made from pigments rather than conventional inks and that some will contain 'white', exact replication is not possible. For what it's worth, try outputting with 'Spot Colour' turned off. I've found it to be a matter of trial and error and knowing the limitations of the CMYK gamut.
    Konica Minolta bizhubpress C1085 - Fiery System FS150 Pro
    Fiery IC-308 v2.0 - CWS 5.8.0.39 SP2 on Windows 7 Pro SP1

Konica Minolta bizhub Pro C6501 (65C-KM V 3.0) - Fiery System 9
    Xerox DC250 (DC250 V 1.2) - Fiery System 8e Release 2
    Fiery Pro80 65-55C-KM PS Color Server 3.0a eu - CWS 5 (5.7.0.29) on Windows XP SP2

EFI CWS 6.1 (6.1.0.28) on Dell Studio XPS running Windows 7 Pro
    AMD Athlon II X4 640 3.00GHz 4Gb RAM

+ Reply to Thread