+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Archiving - deleting jobs and retrieving jobs questions.

Default Archiving - deleting jobs and retrieving jobs questions.

Hello

CWS 5 - with external fiery.

I did a test on archiving and retrieving jobs. and have a few questions...

1. I archived a test job to an external hard drive - then with the external hard drive still plugged in I deleted the test job from the Archived list on the CWS. And it also deleted it from the hard drive. - ideally Id want archiving job to mean just that archiving it away somewhere that isn't on the CWS.

The only work around for this is ejecting the hard drive then deleting the archive list... is there any other way which I don't have to eject every time i want to clear from the archive list?

My 2nd question: i found when importing a job directly from my archive location (external hard drive) I find it but then the actual job file names are for example 0000.000????? Even if i import the job it will come up with 0000.000 in the held list.

Is this an error?? Which makes me wonder if wanted to import several jobs it will take time previewing each to find out which is which???

I have attached a screen shot to show exactly what I am talking about in regards to the file names:

Name:  archive retrieving.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  386.5 KB

Regarding deleting the archives, you could copy the archives on the external location to a separate location. This way, when you clean up the archive jobs in CWS, the archive jobs in the external archive location will be deleted, but the duplicates in the second location will remain. You can then use the Import Archive function in CWS to import those jobs as needed.

Regarding question 2, yes this is expected behavior. The archive is a folder of file, including the original job file, but also other files that contain information about the job configuration. When you want to import an archived job, you should use the Import Archive function. Then browse to the location that contains the folders of the archive jobs. You should then be able to choose which archived job you want to import and it will have the original filename and settings.

I can really appreciate this answer. I am the color manager and by default - Fiery Guy. I have been scolded by the techs because the operators archive to the server and in the event of an incident the files are then lost. They also insist that the server is not a storage location and are always setting the printed job queue to 35 or 50 (causing me to reset it at 99) while they insist that I should set up a protocol for printed and saved jobs to go to an external server or hard drive.
    When I have tried this as a test for the retrieval process and the number of steps involved (expecting great push back from the operators and the manager) and was confused by the folder full of these files and could not make heads nor tails of the oblique purpose.
    So now I see that I have to look under the 'File' tab instead of the Import under the Job Center tab. Well, I had shelved this test but now I will dust it off and see what I can see.

Ok Solved!! I imported through the File - Import Archive Function and this worked without opening a folder full of files like the above screenshot!

Thank you both! I can now back up our jobs with confidence of proper retrieval!

+ Reply to Thread