+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Konica C554e/C454e Fiery Text issues

Default Konica C554e/C454e Fiery Text issues

Windows 7/10 OS
    Version 1.2FD50
    Adobe Acrobat DC Latest
    Source Presentations are made from Adobe PS CC, and exported to PDF then merged.

Text is blurring no matter what specifications we set for image quality. I've done a lot research, and talked with Konica reps. They tried to say it's a Windows 10 issue but the same issues occur on Windows 7. This was brought about by replacing Windows 7 with Windows 10, however the issues persist with a fresh Windows 7 machine. Only one Windows 7 machine has no issues.

Steve0 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor Steve0 is on a distinguished path

Just for s&g, try printing some text from Word or Wordpad to see if that's blurry too. The theory being, could it be an Acrobat setting, not a print driver setting? (Specifically, Print as Image.)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve0 View Post
    Just for s&g, try printing some text from Word or Wordpad to see if that's blurry too. The theory being, could it be an Acrobat setting, not a print driver setting? (Specifically, Print as Image.)
    True, Adobe does flatten the document when printing. The only way I can print this document on anyone's computer if I choose "Let printer choose colors (Under Advanced Settings in Acrobat)". I have a Toshiba eStudio 3555C and it's printing the document perfectly minus the colors. It's always had issues with correct colors, but that's why we have the Konica C554e and the backup C454e. We had Konica come in and they blamed Windows 10, but we found out that it's not a Windows 10 issue. They said they would try to contact their engineering and see what they could come up if they talked to EFI. No one has followed up with me in a week. The support rep from EFI told me try posting here, and I'm here lol. Printing as Image is better but not great. No where near the Toshiba or the one guy that works still.

We had a similar problem with a Ricoh years back... same file printed from Acrobat would print with the text appearing 'hazy' from some computers but not others. Here is what we did that ultimately worked:

1. Make sure the print options in Acrobat are the same across all computers
    2. Make sure the Fiery defaults/setting used are the same across all computers
    3. Make sure the driver versions are the same across all computers (and of course compatible with the version of the Fiery in use)
    4. Make sure using the PS drivers not PCL

This helped the majority of situations, but even after doing all this, certain heavy text documents would still render this way when printed from Acrobat. The last piece of the puzzle that worked for us was to go into the Fiery settings, on the Image tab, and set the Brightness to 95%. This worked! So we set it to be the default on all computers.

The only 'gotcha' we had later was when we got our new Ricoh, it didn't need that setting and having it as default actually made the prints too light LOL so we had to change all our presets and settings back to 100%.

I agree with Steve0 and would try printing a native file (ie MS Word, Wordpad) to verify this prints correctly. If not, you have engine issues. If so, the problem is in the PDF. Assuming its the PDF, it sounds like either we are dealing with rasterized text, or possibly rich black/RGB text. Had anyone tried disassembling the PDF in Illustrator to check these out? If not, there are a couple things I would check. First off, when exporting to PDF, double check your PDF export settings. For some reason, most Adobe programs like to export PDFs all the way back to Acrobat 4 (PDF 1.3). I have found this can create issues with transparencies in files. I always export to the most current PDF version my software will allow. Next, in the printer properties, Color tab, basic settings, Grey and Black, make sure both RGB and CMYK are set to Text/Graphics/Images.

Good luck!
    Shawn

+ Reply to Thread