+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why would one edit a source profile?

DragonLeaves is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor DragonLeaves is on a distinguished path

Question Why would one edit a source profile?

Greetings,

I am watching the video about CWS 6.1 wherein Greta and her wonderful accent (much better than my French Canadian!) relays that they brought back the capability of editing source profiles which can also be done in CPS.

I have never even contemplated doing this and so I can't fathom why one would edit a source profile.
    I understand I usually edit the destination profile, but the source?

Could anyone share experience here about this, as a general educational topic on colour management. There's no right or wrong, just sharing experience..

Thank you kindly,

Default RE: Why would one edit a source profile?

We completely agree - that's why we dropped it from 6.0.

Editing profiles in general is not advised because you lose track of which edit went with which jobs making reprints challenging.

But editing the source basically says that all the output profiles are wrong and so you want to change the output permanently. There may also be the case that RGB is printing OK but not CMYK sources although I have never seen a real case of this.

However, users who were doing this complained so we brought it back, just trying to keep all our users happy.

I'd love to see replies to this thread if anyone is using the feature and why.

~Lou

DragonLeaves is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor DragonLeaves is on a distinguished path

Default Thank you for your reply Lou!

I am also curious about this. Always learning..

Default Paper Simulation Editing

Paper Simulation (JP option) and "Paper Simulation white point editing" (tool) is a combination of features designed manipulate the white point values of a source begin mapped to the media output profile white point.

Paper Simulation is generally thought of as "Absolute Colormetric" rendering intent, where the white point of the source profile is preferred - and simulated - with printer colorants added to make a closer numerical match to the source.

The editor is an interesting feature of the Fiery. Edits must be done in the context of a source+output profile pair. The editor requires you to define both, and the edit will only apply when both are in use on a job. The upshot of which is you can make bright white paper look like something else (greenish, or bluish etc..) The editor was designed to allow users of white paper to simulate printing on colored paper.

Justin

Default Thank you for your reply Justin

This is interesting for proofing I'd venture.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin_dB View Post
    Paper Simulation (JP option) and "Paper Simulation white point editing" (tool) is a combination of features designed manipulate the white point values of a source begin mapped to the media output profile white point.

Paper Simulation is generally thought of as "Absolute Colormetric" rendering intent, where the white point of the source profile is preferred - and simulated - with printer colorants added to make a closer numerical match to the source.

The editor is an interesting feature of the Fiery. Edits must be done in the context of a source+output profile pair. The editor requires you to define both, and the edit will only apply when both are in use on a job. The upshot of which is you can make bright white paper look like something else (greenish, or bluish etc..) The editor was designed to allow users of white paper to simulate printing on colored paper.

Justin

+ Reply to Thread