+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Margin Changes After CW6 Upgrade

Default Margin Changes After CW6 Upgrade

Our offices got hit with the Petya virus and as a result all available updates were applied to our Fiery RIP. This included going from CW5 to CW6 (I'll save my comments about the new look/connectivity for another post).

Background - In our studio, we print to Xerox Versant 80's through EFI Fiery. We mainly print on 3 different sizes and all of which is uncoated stock. Also, the majority of our prints also come from an Adobe application directly. We do a lot of tiling to achieve various scales and sizing.

After the Command Workstation update to version 6, everyone started reporting that the top of their prints were being cut-off. The "file info" was completely gone, crops were shortened and tile crops were almost non-visible. I did some testing to find that this was the case on 2 of the 3 paper sizes we commonly print to.

I've attached a few photos for reference however this is how it breaks down:
    12x18 - cutoff
    11x17 - cutoff
    8.5x11 - ok

Since we only print on those page sizes, it is uncertain if this issue impacts other sizes. Is it only on larger sizes? not sure but might be worth investigating on your end however, we would like to see a fix to the sizes we use on a daily basis.

Let me know if you need any additional information. Note, we had a similar situation in the past that the Fiery Engineers had to fix and release a new PPD based on our feedback. Our office involves IT for all package distributions which is a lengthy process so I'm hoping a new PPD is not the answer!
    Attached Images    

Default Margin Changes After CW6 Upgrade

It appears your tray alignment settings may have gotten lost in your virus issues. On the bottom of these pages, is there lots more room then there should be? If so, this is the case. You can do a tray alignment thru the fiery using CWS, or an alignment profile thru your Xerox, and attach it to the paper catalog. Its up to you which way you want to go. I would recommend the alignment profile, that way it is associated with the paper and will follow it, regardless of what tray you load that paper in. Your vendor that supports your Xerox can help you with this process.

You can also test the PPD by printing one job thru the print driver, and print the same job by importing a PDF into CWS. If only the PPD is off, its a PPD issue. My hunch is they will both be the same.

Good luck!
    Shawn

Thanks for the response Shawn.

Just for clarity, none of the RIPs were infected by the virus but per our IT policies, they wanted all updates OS and application to be run. That forced us to the latest CWS.

I would think your reasoning (lost alignment) would be sound if it were one printer but to have all three of our printers (all EFI RIPs w/ Versant 80 setup) impacted with the same issue after the updating sounds more suspicious to the installer itself.

Did the installer wiped the tray alignment configuration? Is it possible the newer version defaults to different margin parameters that are different from CSW5?

I did your test and yes, both (print via PPD and direct print via CWS) failed. I did print a flooded page of black to reveal the margin areas are very closely symmetrical all the way around though. There's about a 1/16 or 1/32 of an inch off. Not enough to be cutting off a whole line of "file info" from indesign and cut off a 1/4" crop mark.
    Attached Images      

Insert intelligent sounding "hmmmm" here....

I am not sure what could be doing that to you. I agree that seeing this across different engines would point to a different issue than I was alluding too. You may need to see if someone from EFI picks up this thread and had a better direction for you to look in for your fix. Possibly your vendor would be able to help here as well.

My last suggestion would be to see if the 'image shift' option in the finishing tab can get you by, while you wait for a more permanent fix. If the image shift works for you, you can set a server preset and then use it from your print driver, or better yet, make it a virtual printer if you have that option.

Shawn

Futaura is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor Futaura is on a distinguished path

The 3 sizes you tested it on - were they all tested from the same paper tray or different trays?

I've not seen a problem like this after updating to CWS6 on our Versant 80 / EX80 (using mostly SRA3 here, but also some A3 and A4).

Quote Originally Posted by Futaura View Post
    The 3 sizes you tested it on - were they all tested from the same paper tray or different trays?

I've not seen a problem like this after updating to CWS6 on our Versant 80 / EX80 (using mostly SRA3 here, but also some A3 and A4).
    All were tested from different/all trays (including optionally installed oversized high-cap feeder).

We've had about 2-3 equipment refreshes in the past 10 years. I've experienced this same issue once in the past and it required Fiery to deploy/update a new PPD. I know this because we were the ones that worked with our Xerox Analyst (guy retired recently) and with Fiery Engineers to resolve the issue.

I posted the issue here thinking that Fiery would monitor these forums and resolve the issue but as someone stated in a different post of mine, I need to communicate it to Xerox Support level 2 so they can involve EFI.

+ Reply to Thread