+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Calibrating IC 415

Default Calibrating IC 415

Hello,
    My calibrating values is off 7-9% range to target range. How do I change that value to hover within 5% as recommended by konica consultant.

Thx for any help!

Default RE: Calibrating IC 415

Is the dMax values off by this amount when you view the calibration?

~Lou

Usually I have kon. technician fix it under adjustments but honestly I have no idea what dMax value is.
    If I can get further steps from you to how to do this I would definitely do it.
    Aneel

You are calibrating the Fiery, right?

In calibrator go under the menu listing the calibrations sets and choose "manage calibrations". Now find the one you are working on and click "View Measurements". Let me know the % differences on the dMaxes or send a screenshot.

If you don't look here, how do you know you are off by 7 - 9 %?

~Lou

I took a screenshot today. I did two calibrations.
    Attached Images  

So this is the dMax difference you are seeing. The percentages are not very useful. Any change in dMax by 0.05 to 0.10 D will have an effect on color.

Cyan of 1.62 coming out as 0.99 D is 15 times more variance than I would expect.

Now some questions:

Did you make this calibration set for your press and paper or is it a factory default? Factory defaults might no match on dMax because of the differences between the press unit at our factory and due to paper differences from what we used to what you used.

Since this is for uncoated 90 GSM is that the paper you put in the machine to calibrate?

Remember you need to calibrate on the paper the calibration set is for in order to get the measured dMax values from the re-calibration close to the target dMax values that were established when the calibration set was created.

Assuming you printed this on 90 GSM paper the only possible fix at this time is to have your machine serviced. Do a calibration when the technician finishes, the dMax's you see then should be the ones you'll expect each day when you re-calibrate.

~Lou

Lou,
    Now that I am personally digging deeper into this I am beginning to realize that I haven't even been paying close attention to criterion you have mentioned to achieve accuracy.
    As per Konica rep I was told to calibrate any tray with less regard to what media is being calibrated and I always have questioned this logic. I even asked my tech why is there always a mismatch error should I not change my media to match what is being calibrated and he always defended its inefficacy.
    So I am going to add new media with proper settings for calibration. My only concern is that by default, the only option for calibration in c1060 is 90g/m2 density uncoated . If I am calibrating 14 pt 257-300 gsm ML stock, is there a way to preselect higher density media profile. Forgive me if you don't follow my train of thought.

Aneel

Hi Aneel.

You always need to calibrate on the paper you are going to print on.
    You should have a custom calibration set for each paper or class of paper.

When you make a custom calibration set the dMax is dertemined for your paper and saved in the calibration set as the target.

You can make a new calibration from CWS calibrator also under the "manage calibrations" function. But you really also need an ICC profile created for your paper and the new calibration.

Do you have Color Profiler Suite? This is the best tool to create a new calibration set and an ICC profile that works with it in just a few steps.

~Lou

Name:  calib.jpg
Views: 1425
Size:  151.9 KB

Okay so I created a new calibration set for my LCT using gloss 14pt c2s cardstock.
    The measurements reflect a unique problem . the variation between targeted and whats measured and the graph representation is not quite right. Konica tech is replacing the black roller drum tomorrow because he says something is not.

I dont have collor profiler suite.

Aneel

Hi Aneel.

Those values are very close. They are within my rule of being within 0.05. They will not always be exactly the same due to measurement variations and the press aging.

But now you have a different problem. You have a calibration set that takes full advantage of the density range available on your press with that paper. But you don't have an ICC profile to go with the calibration. You need this to get accurate color. Color Profiler Suite is the easiest way to make a profile but you don't have it. Do you have any ICC profiling software?

~Lou

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast