+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Substitute Colors/CMYK

Question Substitute Colors/CMYK

So we have this cool feature where we can substitute CMYK values and handle them in a similar fashion to Pantones in Device Center. However I've found I cannot use the sub colour replacement feature in some pdf files. There are times where I can edit a vector pdf file and this feature works great and sometimes I cannot and I am not sure why. In the event I am not able to get the feature to work our art department is able to assign a Pantone within the file and then I am able to edit the colour as needed.

How do I identify what pdf files I can use the substitute colour/replacement feature on and what files I cannot?

iGen5 FS-200 CW 5.8
    Last edited by iGen_chickadee; 07-29-2017 at 11:10 AM.

ColorQA_Victor is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor ColorQA_Victor is on a distinguished path

When I debug similar issues, I do the following with Adobe Acrobat's Output Preview > Object Inspector tool :

1) Verify the object is not a bitmap object.
    2) Verify the color space if not a bitmap object.
    3) Verify if a transparency is visible.

If there is an active transparency, be sure to use the APPE interpreter - this interpreter is better for handling transparencies.

Can you let me know if APPE resolves the issue you are encountering.

BTW, there are no PDF/Fiery Substitute Color restrictions that I am aware of.

-victor
    Victor Ibarra
    Fiery Lead QA Engineer - Color & Imaging

Hi Victor...

1) Verify the object is not a bitmap object.
    --> Verfied it is not bitmap
    2) Verify the color space if not a bitmap object.
    --> Color space is usually Device CMYK, sometimes some other Gracol or other standard
    3) Verify if a transparency is visible.
    --> Usually in the files we have this is not an issue

If there is an active transparency, be sure to use the APPE interpreter - this interpreter is better for handling transparencies.
    --> We always have APPE on as a default for handling all our files for this very reason

Can you let me know if APPE resolves the issue you are encountering.
    --> It has not made any difference in the cases we attempt to use these files with this feature

BTW, there are no PDF/Fiery Substitute Color restrictions that I am aware of.
    --> Good to know

I do have a few sample files available if interested.

ColorQA_Victor is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor ColorQA_Victor is on a distinguished path

If it is possible, can you reproduce the problem with your server and send me a report log? From Command Workstation, setup you file and rip it. Then place the mouse cursor over the raster and select CTRL+right mouse click. You'll then see an option to Create Error Report - select it to generate a log. You can try sending me the log file over email - my email is victor.ibarra@efi.com. If the file is too big, I'll look into seeing if I have access to our FTP server and see if I can setup something for the transfer.
    Victor Ibarra
    Fiery Lead QA Engineer - Color & Imaging

DragonLeaves is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor DragonLeaves is on a distinguished path

Please also call in the Xerox hotline so they have a log and can create a patch for it. Victor will know how important and crucial this actually is.

+ Reply to Thread