+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Postflight ignores paper catalog output profiles

oxident is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor oxident is on a distinguished path

Question Postflight ignores paper catalog output profiles

Hi!

I've recently noticed that when using the Postflight option, my Fiery seems to ignore the media's associated paper catalog output profile.

If I enable postflight and actually print/rip the job, I can see that the stock profile is applied. That's visible on the postflight page itself (output profile and calibration set) as well as on the job property sheet right to the output profile setting (CWS 6).

I guess that there's some kind of code within the Postflight pages which causes the Fiery to ignore the paper catalog settings...

I've tried it on an IC-308 and IC-306, both running the latest SP and patches.
    IC-306 v3.01 FS100 Pro / KM C6000, IC-308 v2.1 FS150 Pro / KM C71hc / SD-513, IC-414 / KM C754
    CWS 5.8 SP2, Windows 10 x64

ColorQA_Victor is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor ColorQA_Victor is on a distinguished path

You should be able to see the assigned Paper Catalogue output profile in the Postflight report. I do have a test plan where I test PC profile mapping, but it doesn't include a cross check with Postflight - I'm going to add a test case to my test plan to test for this in the future.

The product in development that I'm working on right now has a bug with PC profile mapping for CPSI, but APPE profile making works as expected. I did run a test with PC profile mapping + APPE and the Postflight report showed the PC profile is being applied.

Is there anyway to confirm that your server doesn't have a bug with PC profile mapping in general? I use a combination of Fiery Control Bar and an abstract like output profile to test profile mapping.
    Victor Ibarra
    Fiery Lead QA Engineer - Color & Imaging

oxident is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor oxident is on a distinguished path

Hello Victor,

well, at least I can tell that it's not related to APPE/CPSI. Postflight defaults to stock profile on either engine.

UPDATE: When using the Controlbar (without Postflight), the mapping works as expected.
    Last edited by oxident; 07-19-2017 at 01:50 AM.
    IC-306 v3.01 FS100 Pro / KM C6000, IC-308 v2.1 FS150 Pro / KM C71hc / SD-513, IC-414 / KM C754

ColorQA_Victor is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor ColorQA_Victor is on a distinguished path

I'm not familiar with the KM products - I'll look to see if I can find one and see if I can reproduce.
    Victor Ibarra

Thanks for your investigation. I've spotted another possible problem:
    When I'm using Impose to gang up jobs, the control bar prints some weird information:
    Output device is "Normalizer Demoroom" and output profile is completely empty!
    The print itself also looks like it's done with an incorrect profile, maybe it's also the stock one.

Without using Impose or when selecting a specific output profile, those information are correct.

UPDATE: It doesn't matter if the output is flattened or not.
    Last edited by oxident; 07-20-2017 at 10:14 PM.

Well, that's a real tricky one. After doing some intensive tests, I think I've broken it down to a specific workflow problem (or maybe a bug):

- launch impose on any job
    - choose any kind of imposition method
    - don't specify any media / paper catalog entry within Impose (only sheet size)
    - save the job (flattened or DBP)
    - choose a PC entry in the job's properties
    - enable control bar (in order to verify the output profile)
    - render it using APPE
    --> control bar shows an empty calibration set and output profile - incorrect behaviour

- do the same as above but render it using CPSI
    --> control bar shows the correct calibration / profile - correct behaviour

- do the same as above but render it using APPE and choose a specific PC entry within Impose for at least one sheet
    --> control bar shows the correct calibration / profile for every sheet (differently for the specific ones as well as the rest of the seets) - correct behaviour

So I'm starting to think that there's some kind of problem with the job properties in combination with (non) mixed media, Impose and APPE/CPSI in general.

Tough one

Victor, is it possible to get a copy of your test output profile in order to verify that it's not just a display bug? I've already contacted KM but they told me it will take a long time to verify and escalate this problem...

My apologies, but I was on holiday. I'm playing catch up at the moment and have it written down to review this post again. I'll get back asap.
    Victor Ibarra

Hmm, I've also spotted situations where the RIP engine seems to crash/stall after ripping a job with APPE and Controlbar enabled:

The job rips fine (although sometimes no output profile / calibration set is shown on the control bar) but after that, the Fiery won't process other jobs anymore. It simply stalls when ripping the first page with almost 0% CPU time.

That makes diagnosing a little bit more complicated

+ Reply to Thread