Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CWS6, Impose, and paper catalog

adam1991, how often do you experience this issue? Is it easily reproduced? If so could you send me detailed steps to reproduce or better a video recording showing the issue and the steps you took.

Thanks
    Mark

oxident is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor oxident is on a distinguished path

No, quite sure it's somewhere underneath %AppData% on the client (which might be the Fiery itself, of course). Have tried to track it down using ProcMon ... Way too complicated :-)
    IC-306 v3.01 FS100 Pro / KM C6000, IC-308 v2.1 FS150 Pro / KM C71hc / SD-513, IC-414 / KM C754
    CWS 5.8 SP2, Windows 10 x64

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_K View Post
    adam1991, how often do you experience this issue? Is it easily reproduced? If so could you send me detailed steps to reproduce or better a video recording showing the issue and the steps you took.

Thanks
    Mark
    Aye, the devil is in the details. (What can I say--it was Friday and it was late.)

It's not saving the paper catalog info if I save the settings as a template.

The steps are easy: Impose, make settings, use Edit... button to pop up dialog box where I choose paper catalog entry, say OK, and that paper size populates the sheet size. Continue to set imposition settings as needed.

If I stop right here and save the job as a .dbp (I'm still getting the "Flattened" checked by default, can't make it go away, must uncheck that every time), then the paper catalog entry gets saved with the job in job properties.

But suppose inside Impose I save the job as a template. If I go to another job and use that template, then save that imposed job as a .dbp, the paper catalog remains "undefined" in the saved job.

Is the template working as intended? Does the impose template *not* save the actual paper catalog entry with it?

I set this up for an automated workflow. My goal was to create an Impose template that I could call out in the job ticket using a preset. That worked, but I quickly realized I had to also define the paper catalog entry separately in the preset (or hotfolder, or...).

Hi adam1991,

The paper catalog entry is *not* saved as part of an Impose template. As you already mentioned, you can set the p.c. entry as part of an automated workflow by using HF or a server preset in conjunction with the template.

Regarding the "Flattened" checkbox, when you save a job, the save dialog box preserves the current selected options and uses them as default options for future save operations.
    •For Normal, Booklet, and Gangup intents, save location and flattened state are persisted.
    •For Compose intent, save location is persisted.

If you uncheck the "Flattened" checkbox then save the dbp or pdf, then the checkbox state should be remembered the next time you save a dbp or pdf respectively.

Best regards,
    Mark

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_K View Post
    If you uncheck the "Flattened" checkbox then save the dbp or pdf, then the checkbox state should be remembered the next time you save a dbp or pdf respectively.
    Well, I can tell you for sure that's not been happening. I always uncheck that, yet every time I go back it's checked.

I will look at it again.

Check if your Fiery server's Rip setting (in Device Center) is configured to "Use Adobe PDF Print Engine preferred as default for PDF jobs". If this setting is checked then Impose will (by default) attempt to save as a flattened PDF file.

Best regards
    Mark

Yep, that's it. My Mac is also doing the same thing, so I know that's right.

My advice: that is completely wrong to force that behavior. Saving as a flattened PDF is, in my experience, overall not the way I want to do things. (Who here remembers the 2-3 year period when Normalizer was so broken, imposed jobs saved as PDFs were very much screwed up? Who here still wrestles with imposed jobs saved as PDF being not quite the right size by some small amount?)

The ability to go back and re-impose quickly and easily is very important, hence the need to save as .dbp (unless you want to integrate a "best fit" imposition directly into the job ticket in such a way that merely changing the paper stock automatically changes the N-up...).

I think that ignoring the APPE setting, and simply using the user's last choice no matter what, is the way to go.

Hello adam1991,

Your feedback is valued and appreciated. Thank you. I'll pass it onto the Impose product manager and will get this on the feature backlog.

Many thanks
    Mark

oxident is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor oxident is on a distinguished path

Is there any reason, Impose behaves that way when APPE is enabled?
    I only noticed that Multirip isn't enabled on DBP jobs (but it is used when ripping the flattened output)
    IC-306 v3.01 FS100 Pro / KM C6000, IC-308 v2.1 FS150 Pro / KM C71hc / SD-513, IC-414 / KM C754
    CWS 5.8 SP2, Windows 10 x64

I can't speak for EFI, but it's obvious to me: if you want APPE, then you want APPE. And the only way to do that is to provide a PDF.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast