+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Proper way of simulating a different printer?

oxident is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor oxident is on a distinguished path

Default Proper way of simulating a different printer?

Hi!

Is there an approach of simulating the output of a different non-Fiery printer?

At the moment, I'm printing large format posters with a HP DesignJet and I also need to print some images of the same job on our KM C71hc. Both RIPs are configured to expect the same source profiles (sRGB / ISO Coated 39L) but of course, the media and inks are totally different ... as well as the print outs itself :-(

I know that I can't expect an identical print but my main problem is the brightness, especially in grey areas. The large format printer (using a ColorGate RIP) prints less saturated than my laser printer.

Do I have to deal with DeviceLinks on either (or both) RIPs?
    IC-306 v3.01 FS100 Pro / KM C6000, IC-308 v2.1 FS150 Pro / KM C71hc / SD-513, IC-414 / KM C754
    CWS 5.8 SP2, Windows 10 x64

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

Color Profiler Suite has a "match printers" module which (as I recall) will semi-automate all of this for you.

Yes, you'll end up with device link profiles that dumb everything down to the lowest common denominator.

Of course, the standard process of profiling the press and aiming everything to the same standard SHOULD work just fine for you. Just because the HC *can* do way more than GRACoL, for example, doesn't mean it always will.

(Attention EFI, especially Lou: I think you're missing the boat by not resurrecting the Splash CopyCal technology, which worked REALLY well for this kind of thing. After almost 20 years, I still carry around some before and after samples of that, it worked so well.)

oxident is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor oxident is on a distinguished path

Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    Color Profiler Suite has a "match printers" module which (as I recall) will semi-automate all of this for you.
    Hmm, to my knowledge, this only supports matching two (or more) Fiery based printers, or am I missing something here?

Yes, you'll end up with device link profiles that dumb everything down to the lowest common denominator.
    That would be exactly what I'm trying to achieve

Of course, the standard process of profiling the press and aiming everything to the same standard SHOULD work just fine for you. Just because the HC *can* do way more than GRACoL, for example, doesn't mean it always will.
    That's an interesting point. When I compare the output profiles of both machines, I see that my HC has some "spikes" towards green and magenta when comparing it to the DesignJet's (or C6000) output profile.
    To my understanding, this would mainly cause a difference when feeding them RGB images. But whenever I print CMYK files, I would expect that both printers would produce a similar output because their gammuts are wider than FOGRA39 (for example).
    IC-306 v3.01 FS100 Pro / KM C6000, IC-308 v2.1 FS150 Pro / KM C71hc / SD-513, IC-414 / KM C754
    CWS 5.8 SP2, Windows 10 x64

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

I would expect the same.

+ Reply to Thread