Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Calibrated State of Machine

Doyle is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor Doyle is on a distinguished path

The density sensors on the Versant 2100 are on the left side on the bottom of the imaging drum tray. There are three slots that need to be vacuumed or blown out. Try to minimize light shock to the imaging drums by covering them immediately or turn off the lights around the press.

Also these are used for color registration as well.

StarDigital is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor StarDigital is on a distinguished path

Thank you Doyle for explaining that. Yes that is all correct. On my 1000 the density sensor is at the end of the drum 'line' over the transfer belt. And it gets static charged waste toner built up on the metal surfaces. Those particle can and do get on to the windows that the metal surrounds. when that happens the sensors become "foggy" for a lack of better description. That means the readings become inaccurate. Keeping these clean is essential to maintaining accurate color density on your printouts. If you are uncomfortable with removing parts to clean them, get a technician to show you how properly. These should be cleaned out weekly, or so, depending on how much you use the printer.

An engineer is actually due in today so will ask about cleaning these sensors!

Many thanks Doyle and StarDigital

Doyle is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor Doyle is on a distinguished path

There is an official name for those sensors as they do more that just control density.

Had a color registration problem a while back that only showed up on the first 5 or 6 inches into the lead edge of the sheet. Tech wasn't sure what was causing it but when I called it in they suggested cleaning those sensors and cleaning them cleared up the registration problem. Even the tech was not aware that they are more then just density sensors.

StarDigital is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor StarDigital is on a distinguished path

I had once stopped my printer in the middle of its machine calibration routine, why i don't remember, but when i opened the large transfer belt i saw a number of things. The printer laid down chevrons of each color and one mixed in the same locations where the sensor windows were. I can only speculate that the sensors work with the systems mechanical calibration to work not only density, but dot alignment and image placement on the transfer belt. As all these happen without printing on a sheet of paper, i can see how neccessary the sensors were themselves and how important it was to keep them as clean as i could.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2