+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hot Folder cannot merge PDFs

TomG is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor TomG is on a distinguished path

Question Hot Folder cannot merge PDFs

I'm copying a folder named "test" containing 2 PDF files into a Fiery Hot Folder. I activated the option to merge PDF files when submitted as a folder in the Hot Folder's settings.

The job appears in CWS but immediately goes to the "Printed" queue. The job name is "test(Merged).pdf" and is marked red. On double-click it shows the error:
    Error: PDF printing failed; conversion failed
    I'm trying to do this on a Xerox C60 ("old" hardware) which has been updated to the latest Fiery software FS200 Pro (v2.0_SP1).

I have installed the very latest CWS5 v5.8.0.60a and Hot Folders v3.8.0.34a. I hope "a" doesn't stand for "alpha" release Quick Doc Merge is v4.8.1.42 if this helps...

When I'm trying this on my Xerox Versant 80 (Fiery FS150 Pro Fiery SW v1.2_SP2) having Hot Folders v3.7.0.08 merging the same PDF files is working properly.

Is there a bug in the latest Hot Folders release?

Or in other words: How can I downgrade to Hot Folders v3.7 to achieve my goal?

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

a) is there any other difference between your two machines--Impose or Jobmaster license, for example?

b) were you using the exact same two files in your test across machines?

TomG is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor TomG is on a distinguished path

a) Yes. Xerox C60 has no Impose/Compose activated on the Fiery. Xerox Versant 80 has both activated.

But I don't think that this makes the difference. I just used HF 3.7 installed on the V80 and created a Hot Folder linked to the C60 and this works as expected (PDF files are merged correctly).

b) Yes, I was using exactly the same folder (and files in it) to reproduce the issue.

To me it seems to be a software bug in HF 3.8.

BTW how or where is merging done? Within the HF software or on the Fiery?

Hi Tom,

Sorry to hear you're seeing an issue.

Can you post a couple of test PDF files which show the problem? Does the problem show on all PDF files, or only some?

If you create a new Hot Folder, without any settings except 'merge pdfs' set, does the problem still show?

You mentioned -
    "I have installed the very latest CWS5 v5.8.0.60a and Hot Folders v3.8.0.34a. I hope "a" doesn't stand for "alpha" release".

No, the "a" does not stand for alpha, just indicates a branch in our build system. We do not release alpha software to the field. Also we have released newer versions since that, we post sustaining releases including all the latest bug fixes to our download site.

The latest version of CWS5 and Hot Folders is included in the newest sustaining release of FEA 4.4 package, which can be downloaded here

You can see in the Release notes posted with that version that we recently fixed a Hot Folders merge bug which affected HF running in languages other than English.

Let us know if you still see the problem with this version,

Thanks,
    Greta.

+ Reply to Thread