+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CWS 6.0 - Failed to update user configuration file

Futaura is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor Futaura is on a distinguished path

Default CWS 6.0 - Failed to update user configuration file

Since upgrading to CWS 6.0, I've seen an error pop up twice this week so far, similar to this:

12:53:39 PM: Failed to copy the file 'C:\Users\OLIVER~1\AppData\Local\Temp\prvcache\job CFE6.tmp' to 'C:\Users\OLIVER~1\AppData\Local\Temp\prvcache\job list.txt' (error 5: access is denied.)
    12:53:39 PM: File 'C:\Users\OLIVER~1\AppData\Local\Temp\prvcache\job CFE6.tmp' couldn't be renamed 'C:\Users\OLIVER~1\AppData\Local\Temp\prvcache\job list.txt' (error 5: access is denied.)
    12:53:39 PM: can't commit changes to file 'C:\Users\OLIVER~1\AppData\Local\Temp\prvcache\job list.txt' (error 5: access is denied.)
    12:53:39 PM: Failed to update user configuration file.

This happens randomly after exiting the impose window after imposing a job (and dropping new pages in from server PDF jobs). Most of the time it doesn't happen. Haven't found a reproducable test case yet. This is on a client Windows 10 PC, rather than on the server itself.

Hi Futaura,

Does this Win 10 system have a fresh install of CWS 6.0 or was it an upgrade from CWS 5.8? If it was an upgrade from CWS 5.8 then I would like to know the version number of the file "pdfserver.exe". To get the version number follow these steps:

1. Launch Impose
    2. Open Windows Task Manager
    3. From the Task Manager window select the "Processes" tab
    4. In the "Name" column look for "pdfserver".
    5. Right mouse click on "pdfserver" and then select "Properties"
    6. From the Properties Dialog click on "Details"
    7. Note the "File Version" and send it to me. It will be in the form 4.9.0.xx

Thanks
    Mark

Futaura is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor Futaura is on a distinguished path

It was an upgrade via Fiery Software Manager from 5.8 (most recent SP2 version). The version of pdfserver is showing as 4.9.0.40 (date modified 24/5/2017 00:40). I have also updated to 6.0 on our Xerox EX80 server (Windows 7) and pdfserver is showing 4.9.0.40 there too.

Thanks. Would you kindly answer a couple more questions.

Fiery Impose utilizes a cache directory for thumbnails. I would like to know the size of your cache directory and the size of your joblist.txt file.

(Find the cache directory)
    1. Launch Impose
    2. From the menu click "Edit->Preferences"
    3. Go to the "Cache" tab.
    4. Copy the text in "Current Location".
    5. Close Impose.
    (Navigate to the Cache directory)
    6. Launch Windows File Explorer, paste the text from step 4 and hit return.
    7. Right-click on the folder named "prvcache" and select "Properties". (Record the size.) 8. Click "Cancel" on the properties dialog.
    9. Open the folder "prvcache".
    10. Right-click on the file "joblist.txt" select "Properties". (Record the size.)

Thanks
    Mark

Apologies for the delay - just got back to work after a week off:

prvcache - 6.61Gb (924 Files, 632 Folders)
    joblist.txt - 590 bytes

BTW, the cache folder is on a local disk (not a network share). The oldest file in the cache goes back to May, created with CWS 5.8 obviously.

I've not seen this error so much lately. It may be a coincidence, but would the Fiery Integration Package update be related? Originally it was 1.0.0.949 after the CWS6 update, but updated to 1.0.0.976 last week I think.

Is there a fix for this error? I have a customer that is having the same error on CWS6:
    Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread