+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Acrobat XI Activation

Default Acrobat XI Activation

We have an IC-308 (KM) with Graphic Arts package and Job Master. Because of network security I cannot access internet to activate Acrobat XI. I would do the offline activation; however Adobe requires a serial number to process request. Are there any workarounds?

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

Had the exact same thing with several Fiery DFE on Xerox Boxes - you cannot register with an Adobe ID because you don't have the Acrobat Serial ( plus I don't think it would work if you did have it ) - you will need to raise a software case with KM for onward escalation to EFI - they then give you an offline activation patch - I believe they are unique to the RIP ? I don't think you get a "one size fits all" - certainly it has to go through a formal escalation - we had to do this for several Fiery's in Military Installations - all of which had to have a separate escalation. You get thirty days grace before it expires.
    Last edited by thistlegorm; 06-15-2017 at 08:15 AM.
    Remember you are what you eat ! I'm a twix..

Thank You. Appreciate the response.

kmbs-dcd is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor kmbs-dcd is on a distinguished path

Default No internet connection is required

Disregard the notes below, an over reliance on old information and a faulty configuration of the VM I tested this on resulted in a false result with Acrobat XI.

The installer does not "phone home" to Adobe to license. No internet connection is necessary and no offline procedure is needed. In order for the Acrobat that ships with one of the Fiery packages to install the following conditions must be met:
    • Command Workstation installed on the computer and pointed to a Fiery
    • The Fiery product (i.e. Impose, JobMaster etc) is actively licensed on that computer.
    • Install Acrobat / Pitstop using the Fiery setup.exe program on the disk

Note 1: you do not have to have CWS launched for the install to work, but it must be on the network and able to reach it if it were launched.
    Note 2: The license key (or dongle) must be active on the specific computer you are installing the software on. Having the license entered into the Fiery server does not make the installer happy on your desktop.
    Last edited by kmbs-dcd; 06-29-2017 at 06:47 AM.

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

Sorry - You are wrong.

The Installer does not need to "phone home" - correct - however when Acrobat XI application is launched it does need to "see " the outside world to activate.

Perhaps you are mistaking launching Acrobat from within preview in CWS & editing with Acrobat - in which case I would agree - Acrobat does fire up - however if you open Acrobat from the Desktop after 30 days - it will not.. if you disagree ? happy to share Xerox / EFI escalation.

You will understand that having already been through this process & escalated through EFI & received an "Offline" activation patch which has been successfully Installed & is working ( several times )- your post is somewhat at odds to my present knowledge ? - so always grateful for more knowledge / understanding - can you elaborate please vendor / RIP & Scenario ?
    Last edited by thistlegorm; 06-24-2017 at 02:47 AM.

Steve0 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor Steve0 is on a distinguished path

I can verify that what thistlegorm says is true. PDF Support Applications (Acrobat & Pitstop) will install without any online activate. But running Acrobat from the desktop, you will have 30 days to get online to let it phone home. Deinstalling and reinstalling it will close that 30 day window immediately.

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by kmbs-dcd View Post
    The installer does not "phone home" to Adobe to license. No internet connection is necessary and no offline procedure is needed. In order for the Acrobat that ships with one of the Fiery packages to install the following conditions must be met:
    • The Fiery product (i.e. Impose, JobMaster etc) is actively licensed on that computer.

Note 1: you do not have to have CWS launched for the install to work, but it must be on the network and able to reach it if it were launched.
    Note 2: The license key (or dongle) must be active on the specific computer you are installing the software on. Having the license entered into the Fiery server does not make the installer happy on your desktop.
    This is old school--Acrobat 8 and 9 days. It is no longer the case.

(In fact, EFI has had a couple of episodes where legitmate installs, with access to the outside world, failed because Adobe complained that EFI had exceeded its license limit and therefore Adobe refused to activate Acrobat.)

Quote Originally Posted by kmbs-dcd View Post

Whilst on a Versant 180 Install - thought I would check out above - so prior to the Fiery going on the Internet patched - activated Impose, Updated CWS to 5.8.0.100, Installed Acrobat XI & rebooted - launched Acrobat XI from the Desktop Icon - I get this:

Name:  activation.PNG
Views: 560
Size:  15.3 KB

Do you not get this ? I wonder if perhaps when you have Installed the device is already on the Internet ? consequently it just activates in the background without you seeing it ? generally if you see the "Register Software or Skip Splash Screen it has already done it - just a thought ??
    Last edited by thistlegorm; 06-28-2017 at 05:08 AM.

+ Reply to Thread