+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Matching between diff machines

Question Matching between diff machines

We have three different models of colour printers (iGen5's, Ricoh9100, ColorPress1000). Currently all three are setup with the same colour defaults (Gracol, sRGB etc...) so that they are generically usually reasonably close in colour day to day.
    However every once in a while we need to run a job on all three utilising different features and costing. On the odd job we'd like to be able to better match all three machines to each other (ie color crossovers from a cover printed on an iGen, inside flat on the Ricoh) even if it means a reduction in colour space. Usually these jobs will include spot colors, CMYK and RGB data. We do have Fiery Colour Profiler Suite so we have the ability to create ICC profiles, device or printer matching etc...
    Obviously it's not going to be perfect since they are all very different machines but I'm looking for suggestions from any one who might have experience with this sort of thing.

What options do I have to best match between all three (four if you include both iGen's)? How would you go about it?
    Last edited by iGen_chickadee; 05-22-2017 at 05:52 AM.

kmbs-dcd is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor kmbs-dcd is on a distinguished path

Default G7

What you are describing is exactly what the G7 methodology was designed to help with. It aims to gray balance the engines before the RIP calibrations. Even without going to the time and expense of getting your shop G7 certified I've had customers who brought offset, iGen and KM systems into much better color match by focusing on the engines gray balance.

Default RE: Matching between diff machines

That's what I would suggest too. You can do G7 calibration when creating a calibration and profile from Color Profiler Suite. Do you have this package?

If so try this on the 2 non-iGen's first. If you like the results we'll have to have a further conversation about G7 on the iGen which is not supported today in CPS but for which we may be able to find you a workaround for depending on the press model and other details.

~Lou

Hmm...interesting. I'll have to look more into this, gives me a good place to start though. Thanks!

Cheers

oxident is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor oxident is on a distinguished path

Just curious, but isn't this a typical workflow for DeviceLink-Profiles? I mean, FCPS does quite a good job in this area.
    IC-306 v3.01 FS100 Pro / KM C6000, IC-308 v2.1 FS150 Pro / KM C71hc / SD-513, IC-414 / KM C754
    CWS 5.8 SP2, Windows 10 x64

+ Reply to Thread