Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Please Check my Method

adause is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor adause is on a distinguished path

Actually that might be a tad more convenient but now that I know its there, either way works fine.

So Lou the lights we have here are actually D65 and the monitors are calibrated to D65 so why the green printed so golden I truely do not understand. Possibly it's a limitation of the version of CPS I have? As in, maybe since this version any kinks were worked out and works more accurately with the newer versions? As I mentioned the photo looked really good it was the pantone and the rgb images that were off. It really isn't a big deal I like the results with the D50 option and holds up when I try to view under natural light as well. The print to monitor match is very good as well however, I have not yet view a lot of hues yet, so verdict is still out but for now, I'm happy.

I do have a question about the pantone/profile setting you talked about though. I assume only when I'm trying to dial in a pantone on a specific output profile do I need to change this, correct? What I'm getting at is I go to run a job with a custom profile I built using CWS.

First I calibrate to that profile set.
    Then do I need to also go into Spot On and change the profile to what I am printing with as well. Or is that only needing when I'm trying to dial in the pantone using a certain profile/media?

@Star I agree and I assure you I will play with this as the days come. It is why the printout in the photos attached confused me because I am more in line with D65 than D50 but the out was so off.

Thanks again guys I always appreciate you time and knowledge.

StarDigital is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor StarDigital is on a distinguished path

Quote Originally Posted by Lou_P View Post
    Would it be better if we moved back to setting the profile in a drop-down?

~Lou

Yes, yes, and yes. I've been asking for that. But i would do both, a button for the job properties so you can print on a page you set up, as well as, just manipulating the color on a specific profile.

I also suggested that the presets could be found here as well. Makes it real easy to save your job as a temporary preset and then use that in the spot on area. Whatever shortens the time of color matching is good.

StarDigital is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor StarDigital is on a distinguished path

Quote Originally Posted by adause View Post

First I calibrate to that profile set.
    Then do I need to also go into Spot On and change the profile to what I am printing with as well. Or is that only needing when I'm trying to dial in the pantone using a certain profile/media?

Yes. If you don't then any changes you make to a spot color will be made to the default profile and not to the one that you want to change, unless you changed the default to the one you made.

adause is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor adause is on a distinguished path

Thanks Star for the response I appreciate that. I did a test and it worked brilliantly.

So just curious, I run felts, laids, linens and specialty papers with various textures. How well does CPS work on non smooth surfaces? Most I can get to lay down really well however certain types you can see some pitting in the recesses.

Not sure if FCPS is the solution. Some printers do really well at putting toner into the crevasses of textured paper, and others just skim over it leaving micro white spots. The speed of the printer is a determining factor and whether it is designed to print in on textured paper. FCPS is just for getting the color settings right. That is why it is recommended that you use lightweight coated paper for calibrating. They give the best coverage. I've purposefully stayed away from calibrating / profiling using a textured paper because I know I'll not get the best from it.

For my shop, i have two paper profiles to use other than the standard one CWS comes with. And I put the uncoated one to use the coated's calibration profile. That way only one paper calibrating on Monday morning and I'm good for a week. This isn't recommended for a color critical environment of course, but I have my tricks to maintain color consistency for the week.

For your textured papers I recommend (just me not EFI) that you use a smooth stock that's the same color and sheen and (if u must) profile from that for you textured paper. Lou and the others would have a better solution probably.

Dan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2