Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HELP!! Custom Color Profile DOESNT work!

Angry HELP!! Custom Color Profile DOESNT work!

Hello and thanks in advance for the help!
    I have had a Xerox Versant 80 with Fiery for a couple of months now and was told that I can color calibrate per paper stock. I have gone into CPS 4 and made an express profile for a specific paper weight and kind of paper that I use very often. When I go into the "color" tab in CWS and select my output profile in the basic settings it will not print correctly. I have to select "Fiery Xerox VP80 Uncoated 90gsm v1F" for it to accurately print the color. It doest matter if it is a CMYK color or a Pantone color. I Use Pantone 349U ALOT but it prints out looking more like a neon version of it. WHAT IS WRONG? Ive deleted them and made them over and over again with no change.
    -Jessica Davenport

StarDigital is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor StarDigital is on a distinguished path

Does the express profile create its own calibration set or use one of its own? If it creates its own, try switching the output profile link to the uncoated (copy profile for this so you don't lose the calibration set) See if that did anything different. If so then the calibration method you used may need work (ES2000 or Inline?)

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

Hi Jessica,

Another point of reference here: a couple of weeks ago I made an express profile, and it gave absolute wacky results. The first thing I did was right-click the profile (in the output profile list in the Resources tab of CWS Device Center) and inspect the profile.

It was ALL sorts of wacked out, spiky and not at all like what it was supposed to be. Something clearly went wrong during the process.

I dumped it and just went through the express profile process again, and got a gorgeous profile.

Inspect... is your friend. Alternately, you could simply just assume something went wrong and go right to making another profile.

StarDigital: the Express Profile process starts with making a calibration, then continues to making a profile, then bolts them together and puts them onto the Fiery and associates it with that particular paper stock automatically. It's bulletproof. Lou and team did a great job with it. I hate to say it, but what used to require pros like me and time and effort to achieve, can now be done by virtually anyone with some very simple instructions, 7 sheets of paper, and a cup of coffee. (Well, the latter if you're using an autoscan spectro. If you're using the handheld, you're too busy for the coffee.)

Thumbs down Still Nothing..

I went in and inspected the profile.. this is what it looks like..

I also changed the settings to uncoated and the correct paper weight and it still doesn't work
    Attached Images  
    -Jessica Davenport

StarDigital is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor StarDigital is on a distinguished path

Have you tried doing a normal profiling without using Express. Use the uncoated calibration to start with when it asks. Make sure you're using the correct instrument setting M0 M1 M2 and the correct lighting, that usually is the D55. When you save to the printer don't exit the FCPS but hit back button to the lighting selection. Test the profile you created and see if it is good; if not, you can do several things here, changing the lighting and/or the black level settings. Try these out and let us know the results.

Dan

Doyle is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor Doyle is on a distinguished path

What is your default output profile set to? Sounds like you might be using a default profile with ColorWise edited settings which get picked up when you create a new profile. Right click on the profile and see what edits have been made with Color Editor.

Quote Originally Posted by StarDigital View Post
    Have you tried doing a normal profiling without using Express. Use the uncoated calibration to start with when it asks. Make sure you're using the correct instrument setting M0 M1 M2 and the correct lighting, that usually is the D55. When you save to the printer don't exit the FCPS but hit back button to the lighting selection. Test the profile you created and see if it is good; if not, you can do several things here, changing the lighting and/or the black level settings. Try these out and let us know the results.

Dan
    What are instrument settings M0 M1 M2?? and I don't have a light booth I just select Daylight Fluorescent being that those are the bulbs I have in my office.
    -Jessica Davenport

M0 M1 and M2 are various light scanning methods in the instrument. I don't know much about them but your instrument should already configure the FCPS to scan using the correct light system. As for D55 and such, I had experimented on this and each does produce a different coloring. Each is a different coordinate on the XYZ profile as the 'center point', I believe, of where your profile color lies. That's just a basic concept, but, you should use D50 D55 D60 or Daylight as your base.

When you have the profile created, don't exit the program but instead hit back. That will take you to the light and black measurement area. then switch to your CWS and print out a variety of color swatches from Coated using your newly created profile. Go with greens reds blues browns and grays, both light and dark. Compare them to the Pantone book and see if its close. If it isn't, then choose a different lighting and/or black measurement. Once you're close enough, test your profile on a color proofing PDF. I have one that has people pictures with plenty of color contrast and skin tones to verify the printout. If that is good then your set.

Default Spot Color Properties

One step that is left out all the time when using spot colors is that in device center/resources/spot colors, you have to select Patone Uncoated and change the profile for the spot color set to match your output profile or will never change no matter what you do. Try that first and make a preset that you can use when changing the profile for the spot colors.

oxident is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor oxident is on a distinguished path

Question

Are you sure about that? I always thought, this is only an utility to see, how a particular output profile performs in terms of a certain spot color.
    IC-306 v3.01 FS100 Pro / KM C6000, IC-308 v2.1 FS150 Pro / KM C71hc / SD-513, IC-414 / KM C754
    CWS 5.8 SP2, Windows 10 x64

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast