+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Push Notifications

Red face Push Notifications

It seems like a common request, I'm just putting in my two cents Maybe someone else will have something to add.

Why I'd love push notifications on the iPhone in my pocket...
    I am supervisor that spends a lot of time moving around as well as operating in a busy shop. I use it to monitor the throughput during the day, trying to make sure the machines never stop. Like the owner says when the machines aren't printing we're not making money (lol!)
    All jobs have to be delivered after they are printed out of the colour digital room to other locations in the building, meaning that when they stop for whatever reason the operator needs to primarily go and attend to the machines. Sometimes it can mean moving pallets around so it can take quite some time away from the printers. It'd be nice to know more immediately when the printers need attention when away from the area.
    I spend a lot of time some days working with the art department, also located on the other side of the building away from the printers I work with so it'd be nice to know when they've stopped so I can head over and get them printing again without constantly checking the screen manually.
    I have regular meetings/conversations with our sales reps and management. However they are actually located on a completely different floor, again away from the printers. I rarely remember to even look at Fiery Go, so again, it'd be nice to have something bug me to go take a look at the machine or get someone on it when it needs attention (ie. paper jam, feeder tray empty, stacker tray full) etc...

My primary objective is always to ensure the machines are running, push notifications would be a great help keeping me on top of production and rearranging staff as needed to keep work flowing.
    Last edited by iGen_chickadee; 04-18-2017 at 05:15 PM.

Hi iGen_chickadee,

Thank you for sharing your perspective of how push notifications would be valuable to your day-to-day. I want to continue this conversation with some questions for you (and other users) to consider:

What are the primary notifications you would want to be pushed?
    What are the secondary notifications?
    How many notifications do you expect to receive daily?
    Would you want notifications from one engine but not from another engine?

I would also love to hear from other users that could benefit from push notifications as well. Let me know how it can help your day-to-day.

Lightbulb In my work "world"

Hi Anthony, I'm happy to provide some feedback as this is a great little app.

What are the primary notifications you would want to be pushed?
    Primarily (possible) machine based issues. In order of importance - press faults (requiring full PSIP reboot), primary faults (requiring reset to continue), paper jams, files faulting, toner waste container full, dev waste container full (they fill up fast), (need to) add toner

What are the secondary notifications?
    Something like emptying the stacker tray, filling feeder tray (adding stock), fuser fluid notifications, as these are not as "pressing" issues. Also it would be helpful to know if the machine has been idle for a length of time (ie) not printing for 30 minutes. That way if needed I can release the next job remotely if I've forgotten to.

How many notifications do you expect to receive daily?
    With up to four machines possibly connected, many! (but that's okay)

Would you want notifications from one engine but not from another engine?
    Yes, flexibility would be awesome! It would allow me to focus on the machines that are running the most critical work at the time. It's rare all the machines are running high value or rush jobs all at once so not all of them would require the same attention.

But to be perfectly honest if the machines stops I want to know, why is helpful but not necessary.
    I hope this all makes sense, cheers!
    Last edited by iGen_chickadee; 04-18-2017 at 07:45 PM.

While I don't have this app yet as I'm waiting for notifications I think anything that stops the machine, thus production, should have a notification. For example:
    • Out of paper/paper mismatch
    • Needs toner
    • Paper Jam
    • Tray Full
    • CWS has crashed

Quote Originally Posted by iGen_chickadee View Post
    But to be perfectly honest if the machines stops I want to know, why is helpful but not necessary.
    YES! This!

A machine that is just sitting there isn't making money, and they don't pay us ONLY to sit and watch just the copiers, right?

As for me? I'm up, moving around, or sitting at my desk half-way across the building doing designs and layouts on my computer. I can't always hear if the machine has stopped, and frankly, since the desktop version doesn't have alarms or a notification outside of the CWS, it doesn't even help to have it running behind InDesign because CWS doesn't tell me anything until I pull it back up.

Frustrating! Especially when your boss comes up to you to let you know that you are out of paper and asks why you didn't SEE it? I didn't see it because I was working in 3 other windows and the CWS was in the background or minimized, and didn't make a sound!

Having my phone chirp at me would definitely help my work to keep flowing!

+ Reply to Thread