+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Custom Paper Settings NOT holding my Alignment

Unhappy Custom Paper Settings NOT holding my Alignment

I have a Xerox Versant 80 with Fiery. I use a lot of the same paper stocks for various jobs that I need to back up when duplexed, so I made Custom Paper Profiles for them all. Now I have to re-do my alignment almost ever time I use certain stocks. Why isn't the Fiery remembering this? Sometimes its the next day that I have to re-do them. Thanks in advance.
    -Jessica Davenport

DragonLeaves is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor DragonLeaves is on a distinguished path

Default Not Fiery' problem...

Hey there,

The Fiery itself has nothing to do with SIQA.

First ensure you are running the latest patches on your fiery and that your Versant is itself running the latest software from the support page (xerox.com).

You'd want to ensure that when you create an alignment, there's NO alignment set on the tray. I've seen issues if you build an alignment on top of another alignment, so to speak.

I could set the alignment on a brand new stock with nothing associated with the drawer and two days later it will be off. I use a few of the same stocks on a daily basis and it seems almost every day I have to reset the alignment profile.
    -Jessica Davenport

StarDigital is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor StarDigital is on a distinguished path

There are many things that affect alignment. I have a Xerox 1000i and i have to check alignment on every job, most of the time its good if its a one-to-one relationship (one preset to one papercatalog/alignemnt on the printer itself) but there are some things to take into account.

1. The paper companies aren't always precise in the cutting of the paper, so i've noticed that between 2 batches of paper (2 different days) the paper was off maybe a half a millimeter in length and/or width. As most printers only have a lead edge detection sensor they expect your paper to be exactly what you say it is.

2. Humidity. Warping of the paper from humidity can cause issues with scewing, not to mention creases in the paper itself when going through the fuser due to uneven moisture content of the paper. Try to keep the moisture level of your paper storage and printer areas at 30% to 40%

3. Machine wear. This takes awhile and probably not relevant, but aligning rollers and transport rollers do wear out over time and need to be replaced. I check mine on a weekly basis and have found that they wear out about every 2 to 4 months

4. Aligner pulse settings: This is where it is crucial. Aligner rolls need to be at just the right pressure to align the paper consistently. Xerox 1000 uses pulses and i can set this higher or lower depending on the stock (higher for gloss, lower for matte and uncoated) If this isn't set right there will be a noticable difference in alignment over the length of a run and between jobs days apart.

5. Fuser temp: Too hot and the paper will lose to much moisture going through and maybe warp, too low and the toner wont fuse.

As for paper profiles that you are having issues with, try to determine what makes those papers different from the ones that do work. Texture, thickness, manufacturer, coated/uncoated etc. Some of my paper stocks just don't want to work right in the machine.

Dan

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

Apart from the fact that V80 SIQA / EX1000 FWA have zip to do with the Fiery ? - as I think has already been pointed out by a previous post ? I am curious as to how far out are we talking 10mm - 30mm or 1mm or less back to front ? - if the former - place a service call - all stocks or just the really heavy ones ? as I say nothing to do with the fiery - but I am interested?
    Remember you are what you eat ! I'm a twix..

+ Reply to Thread