Thread: jobflow rules based workflow pdf/paper sizes

Question jobflow rules based workflow pdf/paper sizes

New to jobflow so please bear with me...

I would like our prepress to directly be able to send files to JobFlow (via a single hotfolder ideally) and have it decide based on pdf size where to direct the files after preflighting them. These files will already be imposed.
    We use quite varying paper sizes at our company (a real pain in the ***).

ie
    all 8.5x11 to 11x17 color pdfs are sent to machines #1 held que
    all 12x18 full color directed manually by operator to machine #1 or #2 held que (manual approval?)
    all 12.5x19 to 14x20 full color (and all sizes in between) are sent to machine #2 held que
    all 7x7 to 13x19 b&w files sent to machine #3 held que

Is this possible?
    Last edited by iGen_chickadee; 03-21-2017 at 07:40 PM.

All very possible! You will need to create preflight steps to check for media size and have JobFlow route the jobs based on the preflight result. I will share a workflow in the next couple of days to point you in the right direction.
    --
    Hans Sep, product manager Fiery JobFlow

I've done this quite extensively using a gateway system. Unless I'm doing something wrong, the way I do it is I have a single entry point workflow with each Pitstop profile looking at the size of the piece based on the trim box and the rules to move the project around based on passes or fails. Once it finds the correct profile that the project passes then it is routed to the another workflow specifically imposing and sending to the machine.

As the last step in the imposition, yes you could just change it to the specific machine required to complete the project.

My way is quite extensive to build and perhaps Hans could shed more light on this one as it seems a script would over come the need to build ever imposition profile as a work flow and instead once the correct pitstop profile is found that the script see what profile pass and is able to look and find the correct imposition template to use.

As I'm not into scripting, again I defer to Hans expertise.