+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PDF files and Pictures (images) with moire pattern

Default PDF files and Pictures (images) with moire pattern

I have been using a new Fiery RIP (Pro80 connected to a KM BizHub C1070) since May and have noticed that pictures are not coming out as expected. I have researched this topic as it relates to screen patterns and have found that the Stochastic setting (Properties-Image-Image halftone screens) seems to work, but not quite as sharp. most photos less than 3.5x5 are fine, 8x10s not so much. I've been using Fiery RIPs for over 15 years and have seen this issue come and go. What are the suggested solutions? Going back to a native InDesign file is one way, but my workflow is dependent on PDF files. Are there guidelines on constructing a PDF within InDesign that I can pass on to our Graphics Dept.?

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

* Images at 200ppi

* Leave all images and artwork in their native color spaces

* When exporting (or distilling!) a PDF, if you don't have any specific idea of how to set it up, use the built-in High Quality Print preset and see what happens

That's a start, anyway.

Frequently, what you describe can also be the result of calibration errors. That's a topic unto itself.

Thank you for response. I am going to insist that a KM tech come in and review the output I'm talking about, try to eliminate the calibration variables. I'm confident that I am doing it right, I'm concerned that the baseline settings on the printer may not be what I would want. I would describe my photo output to be on the "warm" side, too much Magenta, not enough Cyan. Couple that with the moire pattern and pictures look bad.

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

Do you have a relay unit with CDC sensors? If so, was the machine linearized to KM specifications and CDC turned on?

Absent that, you will fight issues like what you describe. However, an informed profile/calibration process can help.

Default Getting back to normal

I had a great experience with our Konica Digital Printing analyst, Jesse Gallup, and learned the steps to take to get the calibration right. It may seem fundamental, but that's why I turned to a forum to discuss and share solutions, so everyone benefits.
    #1- Gamma Adj.
    #2- Max Density Adj.
    #3 Color Dens Control

Then, I calibrate through Command Workstation using my ES-2000.
    The results are great.

+ Reply to Thread