+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Does Hot Folders require Acrobat Pro?

Default Does Hot Folders require Acrobat Pro?

Hi,

If I am using Hot Folders to impose PDF documents do I need to have Acrobat Pro installed? If so is Hot Folders compatible with Acrobat Pro DC since this soon will be the only version receiving security updates from Adobe?

Thank you!

Default Does Hot Folders require Acrobat Pro?

Greetings!

I do not use Acrobat in my Hot Folder workflow at all. I build my imposition, save it as a template, then select that template under the impose radio button the layout tab of the job properties. Save this as a job preset and call that preset when I define my Hot Folder. Drop in your PDFs, and you are printing. I build things this way, so if I need to edit any part of my workfow, I just re-save the template or preset and the hot folder uses the new settings. Let me know if this doesn't anwer your question, and I'll try again!

Thanks,
    Shawn

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

Your question is twofold:

a) does the Hot Folders feature require Acrobat--the answer is NO

b) does the imposition feature require Acrobat--the answer is NO

At no point is Adobe Acrobat required for any Fiery workflow. Everything works fine without Acrobat being installed.

Thumbs up

Thanks very much for your replies, that clarifies things perfectly!

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

And just to add:

if your hot folder calls out an imposition workflow in any way, the Impose license must be installed on the same computer that has the Hot Folder utility and which has the hot folder itself.

(Boy, I'm hoping EFI kicks in here to say that will change down the road...)

Job Flow can also use the Impose license in the same way, I'm pretty sure.

Happy to clarify adam1991 ;-)

For the Fiery we have 2 types of licenses:

* Server based licenses

These are licenses that are enabled on the Fiery and include the following options:
    - Graphic Arts Package Premium Edition
    - Graphic Arts Package
    - Fiery Productivity Package
    - Miscellaneous partner unique options

Any client with features related to above options will connect to the Fiery, check the license and enable/disable features. For Hot Folder and JobFlow this enables Fiery Preflight and Image Enhance Visual Editor for instance.

* Client based licenses

These are licenses that are enabled on the client which connects to the Fiery and include the following options
    - Fiery Impose
    - Fiery Compose
    - Fiery JobMaster
    - Fiery JobFlow

Any client with these options enabled can use those features for any number of Fiery's connected with Command WorkStation. If you have multiple clients only the client with the option enabled can use that features (which is typical for _client_ based licensing).

We do however have Fiery applications that use Impose features such as Hot Folders and Fiery JobFlow (Base). Since Impose is a client based license you will need to enable the Impose license on the station where Hot Folders and/or JobFlow are running.

One of the advantages of using JobFlow (Base) instead of Hot Folders is that JobFlow is easier to share over a network. It's a service that runs in the background unlike Hot Folders that requires a logged in session. Many customers use JobFlow as a single point of entry for workflows that include Impose, Image Enhance, etc requiring a single Impose license and typically move their license to the client where JobFlow is running.

Hope this clarifies matters. Happy to answer further questions.
    --
    Hans Sep, Product Manager Fiery JobFlow (and Fiery Hot Folder)

+ Reply to Thread