Thread: Command Workstation - Quick Doc Merge

Default Command Workstation - Quick Doc Merge

Iím working with Command Workstation 5, version 5.8.0.39 SP2 on a Windows 7 (64-bit) machine. Would someone be able to give me further insight into the conditions that enable use of the Quick Doc Merge function (in Command Workstation, this would be going to Actions > Merge Jobs). Iíve tried accessing the feature logged in as guest, operator, and administrator; only had some luck with getting certain Actions to work under our Operator account. Is this a feature that should be enabled by default?

From what I gather on the forums, and embedded/bustled Fiery would not typically have this feature enabled by default whereas an external Fiery server would. Is this correct?

Similarly, can someone clarify the difference between an embedded/bustled Fiery and an external Fiery server? I think I have an understand of what it means, but I want to be sure Iím not making incorrect assumptions.

Thank you for any and all responses!

The Quick DocMerge (QDM) feature, available via Merge Jobs, is equally available via administrator or operator login. Some actions are not available to a QDM job because a QDM job, while consisting of merged PDF jobs, is treated as a VDP job on the Fiery. While VDP is a very powerful technology for processing large amounts of data very quickly, because the QDM job is essentially a PPML job on the Fiery, it's not possible to open a QDM job in Compose or JobMaster, for instance. If you understand what's supported for a VDP job on the Fiery, you'll find that same list of actions generally applies to a QDM job.

And yes, QDM is only available to external servers, and not embedded/bustled serves, because of its reliance on the server-based VDP functionality.

Regarding differences between embedded/bustled and external Fiery servers? Both are designed to support the full functionality of the connected printer, but the external Fiery server will offer you faster hardware higher performance (for RIPping files), and lots of additional software capabilities depending on your needs (such as VDP support). I'd recommend looking at efi.com's pages on supported printers to get to data sheets that will show you the exact differences between embedded/bustled and external Fiery servers.

-Mike

Thank you so much!