+ Reply to Thread

Thread: creating BW profile using CPS

Default creating BW profile using CPS

Hi,

one of my customer are using Fuji Xerox C60 and bustle Fiery. they want to optimize black only printing. they want to print using black only toner and want the black is as black as possible. since the engine is possible to print more that 200% using CMYK, is it possible to create a profile to print more that 100% using black only? how to do this?

thanks
    Revel

Steve0 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor Steve0 is on a distinguished path

K-only black ranges from 0-100%, no more. Above 100%, you're talking about a "rich" or a "process" black, which is black toner bolstered by some additional color(s).

yes, I agree. creating a rich black can make the black look darker. but they don't want to use CMY component. just black only. but using K only on K100, still look "transparent", compared to mono printer.
    any suggestion how to make the K more dense on server/profile level?

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

If in fact the Fiery is pushing down 100K to the engine (perhaps it's not, there are many reasons behind all this) and you're not seeing good results, you're looking at not tweaking the Fiery but instead tweaking the engine.

That tweak could involve electromechanical adjustments, or screening adjustments (actually, while the engine does the screening, you call out engine screening in the Fiery job ticket), or--and this is not to be underestimated--the paper stock.

In general, a CMYK laser printer ALWAYS creates a better gray/black image than a straight monochrome laser printer. If you're seeing otherwise, something's going on. And it's likely not the Fiery.

yeah, I agree. I already contact the engineer about this. I just want to know if there is something I can do in software side. I think it is easier to tweak in software side rather than in hardware. anyway, the customer request are not standard. they used it to print on tracing paper. we'll see what we can do about this.

CMWK always give better result. but it also give higher cost. if I want to compare with monochrome, I'll compare with K only on color printer.

anyway, thanks for your respond

have you tried using COLORWISE OFF? It usually gives full printer density with no color or paper profile in between

We actually had similar problem - trying to achieve the darkest possible black when printing on transparent foil (that is later used as a film for rubber stamp creation). But in our case, we didn't need to print using black only. We achieved the best results with the following settings:
    Black of 100/100/0/100 (actually gives better results than 100/100/100/100), Colorwise Off and "Maximum printer density ON" (no idea if that actually makes a difference. Paper type Coated 177-220 gsm and custom transfer settings. So I would definately try Colorwise off.

+ Reply to Thread