Thread: Pantone Spots interpreted by Fiery

Default Pantone Spots interpreted by Fiery

"When a new profile is introduced the Fiery brings the best CMYK mix to the library" is what the EFI eLearning modules tell me. If I can see a delta-E that is greater than 2.0 from Pantone to New Mix, am I okay to try and run other mixes for each to bring the delta-E down? Some of the grays are visibly off, both in print and on monitor.

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

You are perfectly free to try.

If you are running to a calibrated and custom profiled system, and if you are using that custom output profile on the stock that created that profile, then you won't get any closer than what the Fiery does using its automated system.

If, though, you're not using a custom output profile, then you might get closer.

StarDigital is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor StarDigital is on a distinguished path

Also understand that greys and browns rely more heavily on a perfect balance of the colors that go into them so a .5% change in a color will change the grey or brown more so than it will for colors more primary (reds, blues, greens, etc.)

Default Practical results

At my place of business we have 7 machines, 5-KMC8000s and 2-KMC-1100s of which I closely monitor the 8000s. Since we have collection of interchangeable parts the KM techs will use what is available to make the machine operable. This causes changes in the production process to such an extreme that I can be required to Linearize and then profile with GRACoL Validation at least once a month each machine.
    With that said, we manage tight color managing for a number of clients that require both Pantone and Substitute Colors to match each other so that whatever "random process" the clients design team throws at us we are able to provide a history of matched color.

SOOO...I went ahead and reduced the delta-E to less than 1.0 on all my Cool Grays and then, using the balance that the client claims to be the mix for each (and that they routinely use) the Substitute Colors, I was able achieve an amazingly close match to each other (Except for the Sub on CG #3) and to the Pantone book in a 5000K viewing box.

My question posing was to help establish several things:
    Who else has had this problem
    Am I alone
    Validation for my suggestions to the Client Services Dept director regarding the Service Level Agreements we make and the realities of life

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

Well, I would have this to say about that:

regardless of the interaction of machine parts, CDC should normalize any variations that come about. In other words, CDC should keep the densities where they were set up in the first place--even with new parts.

And if density is stable, I wouldn't expect that you'd have to reprofile monthly. On a well running machine using CDC, custom output profiles shouldn't go stale nearly that quickly.

As techs swap out drums, the most I'd expect you to deal with is density balance.

All that being said, within the situation you describe you're doing the right things on the Fiery side. That's what those Fiery tools are for.