+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warning message with Fiery Drivers and Package Aware

Default Warning message with Fiery Drivers and Package Aware

Microsoft released KB3170455 MS16-087: Security update for Windows print spooler components: July 12, 2016 to resolve a remote code execution vulnerability that exists when the Windows Print Spooler service does not properly validate print drivers while installing a printer from servers. This update results in print drivers requiring elevated rights to install on a client computer in a Windows point-and-print printer environment.

Users that apply MS16-087 will see the following warning message when using Windows Group Policy Object (GPO) to install their Fiery Driver or when connecting to a point-and-print printer: "Do you trust this printer?"

The Fiery Driver will install successfully once the user selects “Install driver”. If GPO is used to install the Fiery Driver, every client in the network will receive the warning message.

Update 11/16: Microsoft recently posted a workaround - Configuring Group Policy to add print servers to allowed list
    Last edited by Anthony.L; 12-06-2016 at 09:31 AM.

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

Hi Anthony,

Good to see that this is recognised as a potential issue ? just installed a Xerox D110 with Fiery yesterday & have this exact issue - on a 2012R2 Print server your verisign signature allows installation onto the print server - however the clients will only accept "trusted" drivers so no they don't install as the clients do not have sufficient rights - yes I can escalate via Xerox -but a fix would be months away - again this does not help with the conversation I will be having in the morning with potentially 300 client workstations that cannot install EFI D110 Drivers ( any of them ) due to this.. ?
    The more unfortunate part of this problem is that the whole estate has had refresh so a great number of Xerox MFD on the floors plus Equitrac Pull Queues - our Print Drivers do not have this problem.. Awkward Conversation ?
    Last edited by thistlegorm; 11-10-2016 at 04:15 PM.
    Remember you are what you eat ! I'm a twix..

Hi thistlegorm,

I can put in that request for you!

Please let me know if you are using the driver from efi.com download center. I think it should be 'Xerox D110/125 Copier Printer v1.0'.

Feel free to PM me or send me an email at anthony.leung@efi.com to followup.

-Anthony

Default update?

any update on the package aware as in an EFI print driver update?

some companies won't deviate from standard updates on their servers.

+ Reply to Thread