Thread: Unknown Pages

Default Unknown Pages

I have a problem at a customer I need some help with. When they import an Archive job, the Page count shows as "Unknown". If they remove the raster then the page count will come back. The Archive is on a network share, not the Fiery.

Really don't want to have to reload this, if someone has another idea.

KM-C8000
    IC-306, v3.1 Fully patched

StarDigital is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor StarDigital is on a distinguished path

was the archived file archived on a different CWS version?

I don't know. they have had all three versions of system code, several versions of CWS and they tend to archive everything they print. The result is there may be 3,4,5, even 6 archives of the same file with a different ending number. The Archive is currently about 6,000 files of which probably less than half are really needed. I have tried to get them to clean it up but they never have time.

StarDigital is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor StarDigital is on a distinguished path

That could be the issue. Though i'm not an expert in this. The archive file is a folder with many parts, instead of a PDF. If the printer profiles change, source and output profiles change, or even printer system software change then that could (guess) cause conflict with the archived files.

Personally i wouldn't recommend archiving every job. As the calibration curves for printers change and what was printed last winter will have a different curve than was was printed in the summer due to environmental changes, and printer wear. I recommend that users only archive files that have received some change that will be hard to duplicate. For instance: an image enhancement profile that made the job perfect and was difficult to achieve, i'd archive it and then when the job comes again in in the future i'll have a source for how to alter the new job. I'd also archive test sheets: alignment, Quality control test sheets, full coverage CMYK test sheets, etc., and often repeated jobs (like once or twice a week).

But that is how i run my printers, and i only have 3.

Dan

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

Disagree. Archive away. Archive everything.

But there's no reason to archive the rasters. None. In fact, I would urge EFI to do away with that whole concept. Even the lowest end modern Fiery has plenty of horsepower to rasterize a job to the current printer.

Just FYI - if you reload the Fiery, all the links in the archived tab of CWS will be gone.

We have a workaround utility for this, but it won't put those links back there.