Thread: "File is restricted" - never seen this before

Unhappy "File is restricted" - never seen this before

I've been using Fiery Command Workstation and the Compose feature for 2.5 years. Today, I got a brand new message: "Because the file is restricted, page reordering and flattening will not be allowed." It's not letting me insert pages from an external document into the job (which is what I've always done), and I don't know how to fix it. Another thread suggested "unlocking" the file, but I can't find any instructions on how to do that or any other threads about this error message. If you can help, you'll be my new hero for the day.

Thank you!

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

Was the original file a pdf ? if so - open in Acrobat -> File -> Properties Security Tag is anything set in there ?
    Remember you are what you eat ! I'm a twix..

Quote Originally Posted by thistlegorm View Post
    Was the original file a pdf ?
    No, I printed to the server directly from PPT 2016.

OK, new wrinkle! I tried restarting both Powerpoint and CWS, and moving the file off of our shared company server onto my desktop. Now my error message says "No pages from this job are available for insert." I'm gonna restart both my computer and the Fiery server and let you know if that does anything.

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

http://www.isumsoft.com/it/lock-powe...-presentation/

That being said, I have never seen an Office document's lock status pass through to the print file.

The error messages you experience are what I would expect from a locked PDF. Period. THAT locking does pass through to the print file. If a PDF is locked from you printing it, it's locked from you printing it--period.

But maybe your version of Office also does this same thing. So, is your PPT file locked for editing as the above web site describes?

Thanks for the response; my computer crashed completely after I started this thread. As soon as all the Windows 10 kinks are worked out and I can work normally again, I will check Powerpoint's locking settings. I doubt this is the case, though. I had 9 documents to compose, and while this one failed, a couple of them worked. Additionally, I started getting a new error message saying that the file was unable to be edited - just straight up unable. No details.

If possible, please provide us with a PPT file that shows this issue.

Thanks, G