Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30

Thread: Printing Defaults set on server not propagating to Windows 10 workstations on network

  1. #11
    thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    814

    Default

    According to the last Bulletin ( we have had 4 updates so far ) we received about this ( I don't work for EFI ) the vendor I work for is affected as well - MS Have replicated & are working this as their "Highest Priority" - because of the number of Vendors that are affected by this.. might do better posting your Question on a Microsoft Forum you might get an answer sooner - since it is a Microsoft Issue..
    Last edited by thistlegorm; 10-21-2016 at 11:20 AM.
    Remember you are what you eat ! I'm a twix..

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thistlegorm View Post
    According to the last Bulletin ( we have had 4 updates so far ) we received about this ( I don't work for EFI ) the vendor I work for is affected as well - MS Have replicated & are working this as their "Highest Priority" - because of the number of Vendors that are affected by this.. might do better posting your Question on a Microsoft Forum you might get an answer sooner - since it is a Microsoft Issue..
    Great summary. We have logged concerns with Microsoft as well from EFI.

    I'll try to provide an update when we have one from MS.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    116

    Default

    We have found this to be a Microsoft issue. The issue has been logged with MS and we will provide updates in this thread: http://fieryforums.efi.com/showthrea...1626#post21626

    -Anthony

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    You've summed it up for yourself quite well. I don't know why you say you've "pinpointed it to a driver from (this) site", when you yourself say that you've pinpointed it to the Windows 10 Anniversary Edition update. Because that's the only thing that's changed between "it worked before" and "it doesn't work now".

    This is clearly something you need to take up with and follow through with Microsoft.

    It looks like MS is now playing the same kind of game that Apple has played for years with respect to OS updates (not upgrades, upDATES) completely bonking print drivers. It is impossible for EFI to be ahead of this stuff. All they can do is react after the fact, after they know what's going on--and that can take awhile fully to implement.
    Apparently adam1991 you didn't read my entire post. I said that "I did pinpoint it to be a Fiery issue because I did the same on a non-Fiery HP printer (where I set it to print only black and white) and this time, these settings propagated to the individual workstations throughout the network Windows 7, Windows 10 and Windows 10 anniversary edition)."

    I am looking at group policies as a possible reason, but what i don't understand is why a non-fiery driver does propagate the default setting from the server but the Fiery does not. Still confused.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    11

    Unhappy

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony.L View Post
    We have found this to be a Microsoft issue. The issue has been logged with MS and we will provide updates in this thread: http://fieryforums.efi.com/showthrea...1626#post21626

    -Anthony
    I still think this is a Fiery issue since I am able to propagate the default settings on a non-Fiery driver from the server, but my copiers (which have Fiery drivers) still resort to the default when it was installed, regardless of my default settings on the server.

  6. #16
    adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,029

    Default

    It sounds like what you're hanging your hat on is the idea that HP does their drivers "right" and therefore anything that doesn't behave in this respect just like the HP driver must therefore be "wrong".

    In my experience, it could be the other way: it's quite possible that HP wrote their drivers in a customized way outside conventional guidelines, and whatever unconventional thing they did bypasses the Anniversary Update anomaly.

    And if that's the case, HP could be bitten in a different way, either now or down the road.

    We don't know what's "right" and what's "wrong". All we know is, EFI drivers under Anniversary Update don't behave to your specifications and EFI is working to provide drivers that behave to your specifications under the AU.

    BTW, my experience is 25 years of this. I can't tell you how many times EFI (just as one example) has followed Apple's VERY strict guidelines with regard to writing print drivers, only to be caught COMPLETELY by surprise one day when Apple created an "update"--not upgrade--to their OS and in doing so COMPLETELY changed how drivers are supposed to be written, and COMPLETELY break any drivers that were written by yesterday's strict guidelines.

    All with absolutely ZERO heads up.

    Do some research, and you'll find that the MacOS 10.6.5 update--just from 10.6.4, a mere point-point update that should be meaningless--completely trashed EVERY print driver out there in the world, including HP's.

    That EFI finds itself in this position is no surprise to me. Companies like Apple and Microsoft don't care, they do whatever they want to. If MS told EFI to do something a certain way, then completely changed the rules with the AU, that would not surprise me at all. To the contrary, I would accept that as, regrettably, business as usual.

    EFI knows this. That's why they're on it. But remember, they as often as not have no advance warning of any of this, and are as caught by surprise as you are.

    The only answer is, let others be the pioneers and get arrows in their backs. Don't update until you have facts and can verify the behavior in your production shop.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Allow me to provide some details I have received. If the issue is not seen on a non-Fiery driver, it could be that the driver is not using the Microsoft Postscript core driver. There are printer drivers out there that do not use the MS PS core driver.

    Based on our tests, the MS PS core driver (the core driver which Fiery uses) shows the exact same behavior on Windows 10 anniversary update.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony.L View Post
    Allow me to provide some details I have received. If the issue is not seen on a non-Fiery driver, it could be that the driver is not using the Microsoft Postscript core driver. There are printer drivers out there that do not use the MS PS core driver.

    Based on our tests, the MS PS core driver (the core driver which Fiery uses) shows the exact same behavior on Windows 10 anniversary update.
    Thank you Anthony. That sounds right. I did use a non-PS driver on the HP. I will try it with a Postscript and write back. Adam1991, please do not take offense. I just said that it was weird that it worked on my HP but not on the Fiery, but I should not have castigated EFI alone. I never said that Microsoft was above reproach. I just wanted it back to how it was and it only affected my Fiery drivers.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Well back to the drawing board. I just created an HP printer using a postscript driver and set its printing defaults to print in grayscale on the server. I then installed it on my Windows 10 Anniversary Edition station and these settings did propagate. Any other suggestions? I am not being a wise ***. I am just wondering. Is there a file that saves these settings that can be copied to the individual workstations?

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    It sounds like what you're hanging your hat on is the idea that HP does their drivers "right" and therefore anything that doesn't behave in this respect just like the HP driver must therefore be "wrong".

    In my experience, it could be the other way: it's quite possible that HP wrote their drivers in a customized way outside conventional guidelines, and whatever unconventional thing they did bypasses the Anniversary Update anomaly.

    And if that's the case, HP could be bitten in a different way, either now or down the road.

    We don't know what's "right" and what's "wrong". All we know is, EFI drivers under Anniversary Update don't behave to your specifications and EFI is working to provide drivers that behave to your specifications under the AU.

    BTW, my experience is 25 years of this. I can't tell you how many times EFI (just as one example) has followed Apple's VERY strict guidelines with regard to writing print drivers, only to be caught COMPLETELY by surprise one day when Apple created an "update"--not upgrade--to their OS and in doing so COMPLETELY changed how drivers are supposed to be written, and COMPLETELY break any drivers that were written by yesterday's strict guidelines.

    All with absolutely ZERO heads up.

    Do some research, and you'll find that the MacOS 10.6.5 update--just from 10.6.4, a mere point-point update that should be meaningless--completely trashed EVERY print driver out there in the world, including HP's.

    That EFI finds itself in this position is no surprise to me. Companies like Apple and Microsoft don't care, they do whatever they want to. If MS told EFI to do something a certain way, then completely changed the rules with the AU, that would not surprise me at all. To the contrary, I would accept that as, regrettably, business as usual.

    EFI knows this. That's why they're on it. But remember, they as often as not have no advance warning of any of this, and are as caught by surprise as you are.

    The only answer is, let others be the pioneers and get arrows in their backs. Don't update until you have facts and can verify the behavior in your production shop.
    Hi Adam1991,

    You suggested not to update, however, I can't seem to find an older driver for this device. Can you point me in that direction, or was your suggestion not to upgrade my Windows?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts