+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Image shift when using VDP masters issues

Default Image shift when using VDP masters issues

I am having image shift issues using a static and variable master. When I want to move the variable pdf down the static master I have archived also moves down. I have not had this happen prior. Shouldn't it be capable of moving one (static) or the other (variable files) independently of the other? Prior situations have had that happen. Wondering what I am doing wrong.

I am having the same issue of Paul. I am working on IC-415. Paul, are you working with the same controller?

Any feedback from anyone? no issue on other controllers like IC-413..IC-306.

Cheers

Currently using IC 310. Fiery System FS150 pro.
    We upgraded recently and didn't realize this was an issue until 6/30. this process used to work perfectly on our previous version. We still have a fiery driven envelope press which gives us the proper results. So, I know it was a possibility. Something happened in the upgrade. Can someone from EFI chime in?

N2000;
    What is system software version you are running on that IC-415? (1.0, 2.0, 2.1?) Did this issue just start to happen for you after version upgrade, or has it been happening from day 1

Can you provide details on how to reproduce issue, observations, and what has been tried to fix it?

--------

Paul W;
    Are you certain that upgrade caused issue? What system software version did you upgrade from, and to? Have you run System Updates on IC-310 in order to fully patch it?

Hi Scott,

appreciate your feedback.
    I do have the same problem on IC-308 (does not surprise me that Paul has the same on IC-310). I can't say before installing V.2.1 on a customer's IC-415 if the issue was there or not. I have received this issue from the field and I have replicated exactly the same on my demo room.
    Have you tried on your lab machine?
    - Create a master and send it to the controller.
    - Sent to the held queue a VDP file
    - Open the VDP file Job ticket on CWS and use the master you previously created.
    - Go to Finishing tab, change the Image shifting (Y) up to xxx mm
    - Print
    - You should notice on the print out that either the VDP file and the master has moved up

Master should not move from its original position.

Cheers

Hi N2000,

What you are seeing is expected behavior.

Image Shift was designed to adjust the image data on each page to allow room for finishing options, such as punching or stapling. For example, to make room on the left side of the paper for 3-hole punch, the users will do an image shift to the right.

In earlier versions of Fiery software, if the user wanted to apply Image Shift to make room for 3-hole punch, the Image Shift would have to be applied to both the Master and the Variable file. If the user then had a job using the same Master that did not require 3-hole punch, they would have to recreate the Master without Image Shift. If the user did not apply Image Shift to both the Master and Variable, the merge between the two would be out of phase.

EFI saw this as a limitation that could cause problems when a user was applying Image Shift for its intended purpose. The behavior was changed with FS100 where the user would only have to apply Image Shift to the Variable file and the adjustment would be applied to both the Variable and Master. The Master would automatically be in phase with the Variable and Image Shift could easily be applied on a job by job basis without having to recreate the Master.

Image Sift was never designed to be used as a tool to adjust position between Free Form Variable and Master files. The expectation is that when composing the Variable file, the content would be positioned correctly to match the desired location in the Master file. Using Image Shift to adjust position of the Variable relative to the Master would be considered an unsupported workflow.

EFIís recommendation is to compose the Master and Variable files so the image content of the two files align as expected.

Hi Bob,

thanks for your kind reply.

Nothing much to say though if this is the new specification how the image shift work with VDP file and master on the new EFI systems however, I would have preferred to have the feature working as before, at least for my customer (maybe not only for my customer) who also has an IC-413 and used to fix the shift of the image according to his needs, without going back to his customer asking to make another master or VDP file with different setting.

Cheers

I have seen this recently on a KM IC-315 v1 and v2. If it is expected behaviour could we have it switchable, maybe lock the layers, or apply to one at a time or both at once?

I've been using this method to align vdp and master. This might help in some situations.
    I record an initial master, and test print with first page of vdp, with master applied.
    Then image shift the original master to suit the position of the vdp, and re-record the master overwriting the existing one.
    Basically im aligning the master to the vdp.

+ Reply to Thread