+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ricoh Aficio C5000 will not stay connected for all users

Default Ricoh Aficio C5000 will not stay connected for all users

Hello all, I will try to be concise but also provide all the necessary details.The printer I have is listed above. It has a Fiery print controller with no physical on/off switch on the printer. Instead you can restart the Fiery print controller either on the touch screen on the printer or using Fiery Command Workstation 5. In the old office, the printer never had problems. We moved offices and now printing is sporadic. Sometimes users can print, sometimes their print jobs will be delayed an hour, sometimes they can only print when they run wireless instead of a wired connection or vice-versa, and finally sometimes users cannot print at all. However, at all times, all users can ping the printer successfully which I find peculiar. We are running a Dell SonicWall firewall and all the necessary access rules are setup for LAN to LAN, WLAN to LAN, and LAN to WLAN. My Fiery Command Workstation has also been disconnecting randomly from our printer though I do not know why. The one clue, which may or may not be helpful is that it remains connected longer when less people are in the office. Could it be a network traffic sort of problem? The error users get when they try to print is "Printer busy or error" or the printer simply appears offline for them. Users are using a mix of Windows 7, 8, and 10, most of which are 64 bit, and all users sporadically experience this issue. I've tried to cover anything but if I left anything out, please let me know. Thanks in advance!
    P.S. I am using Windows 10, and I did see the sticky at the top of the thread about Fiery servers not being compatible with Windows 10, however, ultimately, it is the printer that is struggling to stay connected to the nodes (or vice versa) regardless of what O/S I am running Fiery Command Workstation on. As far as I know, the Fiery server is running off of the printer? I'm not sure if that makes sense, please advise.

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

Ar the Print drivers installed locally or are the users connecting to a network printer ? if latter are they all connecting to the Fiery as a Print Server ?

Also have you tried unticking the snmp in the ports tab of the printer ?
    Remember you are what you eat ! I'm a twix..

The drivers are installed locally, per machine. I have not tried unsticking SNMP simply because I'm trying to leave everything as it was. As I understand it, unsticking SNMP removes the problem of WIndows sometimes erringly recognizing the printer as offline. However, all we did was switch offices and now the printer doesn't work. As far as I know, nothing else has been changed. My knowledge is limited because I joined this organization AFTER they moved offices so I never saw their pre-move setup. Thank you for your reply.

Here is another interesting bit of information: One user tried to print through an ethernet connection and nothing happened. The MOMENT the user unplugged the ethernet cable and his machine connected to the wifi, the print went through. He then plugged the ethernet back in. The peculiar thing is that sometimes this happens in the opposite direction (Wifi>Ethernet>Wifi).

It sounds like a duplicate IP address issue. I have seen the engine and the Fiery given the same address. On a PC that can ping but not print, launch a browser, connect to the IP address and see what interface comes up.

Yes I noticed that the Fiery and the Printer have the same IP address. I wasn't sure if that was supposed to be the case or not. For a while, when I entered the printer's IP into a browser, it would be bring me to the fiery controller's page and other times it would bring me to the Ricoh Web Image Monitor. I found the Fiery controller's page to be useless since the Command Workstation is more useful so in the Command Workstation settings, I disabled the web interface and now I can SOMETIMES access the Ricoh Web Image Monitor and other times I cannot. Should the Fiery and the printer have a different IP address? I'm very new to this so don't be afraid of sounding patronizing haha!

Yes, the Fiery and the printer must have different IP addresses.

How do I go about changing the IP address of the Fiery? I would prefer not to change the IP of the printer since I would then have to change the settings on everyone's machine.

I changed the IP address of the Fiery controller to a new IP, different than that of the printer. Now I cannot print whereas I used to be able to.

Not sure if anyone is monitoring this anymore but I changed the IP address of the Fiery to the IP address that everyone has setup for the printer on their individual machines and I changed the IP address of the printer to a new IP address. In essence everyone is now printing to the Fiery instead of directly to the printer. So far it seems to be working this way, you were right about the printer and Fiery needing different IP addresses. Thank you so much for your help hollingb!

+ Reply to Thread