Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Feature request Compose (or alternative way?)

TomG is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor TomG is on a distinguished path

Default Feature request Compose (or alternative way?)

I have a feature request for the EFI Compose option.

Or maybe you can show me an alternative workflow to achieve the same.

Example: The task is to print 100 single files having different (random) number of pages and print them all using subset stapling (upper left corner). Each file is a subset. The result is a stack of stapled sheets consisting of 100 sub-stacks or 100 staples.

All files together in the right order is the whole job. The whole job shall be printed several times. All copies shall be divided by a blank sheet to indicate the start of the next copy.

My feature request is:

Either the most simple solution: Offer a new option like "auto-create subsets per bookmark". Then, if the imported file was a PDF containing bookmarks Compose splits the job into subsets for every bookmark.

Or the even more automated solution: Import a folder of PDF files e.g. using EFI Hot Folder to get a merged file in CWS (hint: using Quick Doc Merge disables Compose). In Compose, offer a new option "auto-create subsets per file" and although CWS receives a merged job it detects the formerly file structure and can split up the merged file into subsets. The same could be achieved if you could select an option like "auto-create chapters per file"...

Here's how I'm doing this today:
    1. Import 100 PDF files in CWS
    2. Open the first file in Compose
    3. Mark page 1 as new chapter
    4. Manually "Add sheets" of another already imported job (is faster than browse through the filesystem)
    5. Drag the file name to the left preview window to import all pages of the job to my Compose window
    6. Carefully watch which is the first page of the imported sheets and select it
    7. Mark this page as new chapter
    8. Repeat these steps for the next 98 sub-jobs
    9. In the right Compose pane, select auto-create subsets by chapter
    10. Select staple, close and save
    11. In the job's general properties, select blank page between copies...

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

Any comments for the link to JobFlow? Does it do the required task?

I played around with the Base edition...

When you submit a folder with jobs or an archive with jobs with JobFlow it will merge them in to a single PDF with bookmarks set for each first page of the jobs that are merged.

Please note the individual jobs are merged in the order in which they appear in the folder or archive. With the upcoming JobFlow 2.2 release you will be able to create a simple ticket with which you can define the order in which you want to merge the jobs.

Hope this helps.
    --
    Hans Sep, product manager Fiery JobFlow

Sounds great, thanks for the info!

But does Compose recognize PDF bookmarks already as chapters? If yes, this would be the best solution!

By the way: is there a way of installing JobFlow Base directly on a Fiery server? I've read that this is not possible because both Fiery and JobFlow use Apache HTTP server... But technologically this should be possible by using different (virtual) hosts and ports.

Or is it possible to install JobFlow under Linux? (I've tried ReactOS but didn't work)

We pre-install Fiery JobFlow Base on the latest Fiery's running FS200 Pro. The fact we don't support installing JobFlow on other Fiery's is not a technical issue. As you rightfully indicated: this is 2016 and you can run multiple web services on the same system. The challenge is making sure nothing breaks when we install JobFlow on Fiery's that are running perfectly fine at customers. This is not a trivial process as you might imagine.

I will get back to you about your Compose question.
    --
    Hans Sep, product manager Fiery JobFlow

Default Automatic Chapter Starts

JobMaster will recognize PDF bookmarks but Compose does not. Currently, the JobMaster bookmark capability is limited to converting bookmarked pages to tab pages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xkbuv7_RfsY

Effective with CWS 5.8 Compose will automatically place a chapter start on the first page of each PDF file drag/dropped in JobMaster. Those chapter starts can then be converted to subsets (for stapling) by selecting "chapters" from "Set Definition" within the Settings panel. This eliminates the need to manually identify the first page of each file and set the Chapter Start on it.

Kind regards,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Hans_S View Post
    When you submit a folder with jobs or an archive with jobs with JobFlow it will merge them in to a single PDF with bookmarks set for each first page of the jobs that are merged.
    I have tested this with Fiery JobFlow v2.1.00.16 and it doesn't create bookmarks. (But yes, it merges the single PDF files into one)

When I manually add bookmarks to the PDF, Compose doesn't honor them as chapters.

As I can read JobMaster is doing it differently but at the end bookmarks cannot be used to set subset-finishing.

So my feature request isn't a bad idea, is it?

Interesting feature: Convert bookmarks to chapter starts. I'll pass it on.

Mark

Thumbs up Great!

Thank you, Mark_K

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast