Thread: Archived PDF File Retrieval, is it possible?

Hybrid View

Default Archived PDF File Retrieval, is it possible?

This morning a virus tore through our files and corrupted several files we use on a regular basis. I was able to find the files (un-corrupted) in the Fiery system. To be exact I found them in the "Hold" section, I moved them to "Archived" just to be on the safe side. My goal is to replace the corrupted files from the virus with the untainted files from the "Archived" or "Hold" section.

I did some searching on the forum prior to this post. I found a way to direct the archived files into a new path but it only gives me a folder with unreadable files. I need the PDF.

Is there a way to retrieve a functioning PDF from the "Archive"?

SeanRyder is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor SeanRyder is on a distinguished path

I would try going to the archived file and "hold" it back in the Held tab. Then open in preview and then in Acrobat. There you can then save it to your desktop as a PDF and go from there.

StarDigital is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor StarDigital is on a distinguished path

Archiving adds more info to the PDF and it isn't possible (as i know it) to open them in Acrobat. Only Fiery can read them for it archives all the run info with the file. Rasterization may also be included.

Dan

Default It worked!

Thank you all very much for the help! I was able to use preview and then the edit function to open in acrobat and save. Much appreciated!

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

You were on the right path there at first--archive the file to a folder on the desktop.

Yes, you get a folder with a bunch of gobbledygook-looking files. But the source PDL (PDF or Postscript) is in there; it's just not obvious.

It's the largest file there (probably), always named 00000000.000

Just rename it to whatever.pdf (or whatever.ps, depending on how you got it there) and voila.

Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    You were on the right path there at first--archive the file to a folder on the desktop.

Yes, you get a folder with a bunch of gobbledygook-looking files. But the source PDL (PDF or Postscript) is in there; it's just not obvious.

It's the largest file there (probably), always named 00000000.000

Just rename it to whatever.pdf (or whatever.ps, depending on how you got it there) and voila.
    Just a note - This helped me immensely with archived files that would continually error out on me.
    Changed the name of the file to *whatever*.ps then I was able to run it through Acrobat distiller to make it readable again.

Thank you very much!!!!
    Xerox Versant 2100
    Fiery FS100 Pro
    Fiery Command WorkStation Package : 6.3.0.199
    Fiery Command WorkStation : 6.3.0.34