Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: unable to change doc. size when sending Quark XPress 2015 documents to Fiery IC-308

Default unable to change doc. size when sending Quark XPress 2015 documents to Fiery IC-308

my shop has a Konica bizHub C6000 with Fiery IC-308 controller that we've been using about nine months.

We started out using Snow Leopard and other older software (Quark versions 7 and 8, Adobe CS 5 and 6, etc) and had no problems from those configurations.

We have recently, however, upgraded to new iMacs which now have either Yosemite or El Capitan on them (some have one, some have the other). We also upgraded our DTP software to the newest versions: Quark XPress 2015 (QXP15) and Creative Cloud.

Our printing problems are EXCLUSIVELY when we try to print from QXP15 to the Fiery. We do NOT have problems printing from the other applications to the Fiery, and we also do not have any problem printing from QXP15 to OTHER printers in the shop. It's just the pairing of Quark and the Fiery.

The problem is this: whenever we send a document to the Fiery, it's being RIPped as "letter-size", no matter what size we tell it to be at the user end. An 11x17 document, for instance, appears in the roamed view at the RIP as being just part of the sheet on a letter-size document.

When you open the job properties at the RIP, the document size is set at 8.5x11. If you try to change document size in the print dialog at the Mac, however, it is grayed-out and cannot be changed from that size, meaning that everything is getting RIPped at an 8.5x11 document size.

A colleague of mine was able to sometimes get 11x17 by putting it in as a custom page size, but this only worked for her in landscape mode. Portrait mode still cuts off parts of the images.

I do realize that supposedly an El Capitan driver is still in development for 1/16, but we also have this problem under Yosemite, so I have fears that the new driver won't fix it.

Our only real work-around right now has been to save Quark files as PDFs and print from Acrobat, but that is NOT, in my opinion, an acceptable alternative, since we're talking about brand-new, current software.

As I mentioned before, this problem did (and does) not exist on older Macs still running Snow Leopard and older versions of QXP, it's ONLY the combo of OSX 10.10 or 10.11 and QXP15.

Can anyone offer any help, suggestions, or know if this is an issue that has either already been address or is, at least, being worked on?

Can you just create a PDF and drop it in CWS instead of trying to print it directly?

Quote Originally Posted by jricart View Post
    Can you just create a PDF and drop it in CWS instead of trying to print it directly?
    That's what I've been having to do, but frankly, that kind of workaround really isn't good for the long term, when I can print to ALL my other printers with Quark '15 just fine, and was able to print to the Fiery just fine before upgrading. It just adds an extra step that, IMO, shouldn't be necessary.

If I was having this problem with other printers, too, I'd be pestering Quark about this, but it's only the Fiery that's giving me this problem with Quark '15. Surely, I'm not the first person on the planet to have this issue (Quark '15 has been out for more than six months), and surely this is an important enough of an issue for EFI to consider looking into it, instead of telling me "why don't you just make a PDF".

I'm a little bit disappointed that no one from EFI has replied yet.

StarDigital is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor StarDigital is on a distinguished path

Since i don't have Mac or quark i can't help you there. I don't know about the file type but have you tried using Hotfolders?

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by StarDigital View Post
    Since i don't have Mac or quark i can't help you there. I don't know about the file type but have you tried using Hotfolders?

Dan
    We don't have a hotfolder set up, as far as I know. As Quark documents are a proprietary format (.qxd), I have a funny feeling that wouldn't work anyway.

I really hope somebody from EFI will chime in on this soon. The IC-308 driver is supposed to be getting an update sometime this month (to be fully compatible with El Capitan). Would certainly be nice if they could shake out this particular bug and include it in the driver update.

StarDigital is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor StarDigital is on a distinguished path

are you able to drag and drop into CWS the quark file and process and hold it? If yes then you can create a hotfolder that will do what you want. Just redirect the print to the Hotfolder location instead of the CWS location. Doing it this way means you can adjust it by adjusting the hotfolder instead of the print driver.

Dan

are you able to drag and drop into CWS the quark file and process and hold it? If yes then you can create a hotfolder that will do what you want. Just redirect the print to the Hotfolder location instead of the CWS location. Doing it this way means you can adjust it by adjusting the hotfolder instead of the print driver.

Dan
    I can't send it to the hot folder. When I drop it there, the job does not process, but generates an error. As I feared, Hot Folder "does not recognize the file format". I think it only accepts formats like PDF, TIFF, EPS, etc., not application-specific formats (i.e. not 'native' files).

I might try drag-n-drop into CWS when the server isn't busy, but I suspect that isn't going to help any.

in the quark program can you determine if it has the different page boxes (art, trim, crop, bleed), can you set them to your desired size? Can you change page size like you can in Acrobat?

Dan

in the quark program can you determine if it has the different page boxes (art, trim, crop, bleed), can you set them to your desired size? Can you change page size like you can in Acrobat?

Dan
    As I mentioned in my original post, under my "old" operating circumstances (MacOS 10.6 Snow Leopard and Quark XPress 7), everything worked fine.

Under my new parameters (MacOS Yosemite and/or El Capitan, plus Quark XPress 2015), the ONLY difference is in Fiery Features portion of the driver. In the Quark print dialog, I can specify document size, etc. just like before.

Under normal circumstances, I should just be able to set my sizes there and send. However, everything appears as "letter" once it gets RIPped.

I tried going into the Fiery Features (in the driver) to override/force the size. HOWEVER, in the full properties under the MEDIA tab, the selection "document size" (left-hand column, right under "paper weight") is grayed-out/unselectable, and is set (by default) to 8.5 x 11. It cannot be overridden, since it can't be selected, and this is presumably the reason why it can't be RIPped and the proper size.

I do not have this limitation on my old Mac/old OS/old Quark. I also do not have this limitation if printing to a printer from a different vendor (Toshiba, Canon, etc), it is ONLY when using the combo of the new Mac/OS/Quark with the EFI/Fiery drivers/controller.

Drag-n-drop onto CWS is a no-go also, probably again due to not being PDF/EPS/TIFF/etc. I get a blank sheet with offending command: MMXPR3 when trying to drag/drop.

The only way this is going to work is if Fiery finds a way to fix the print driver, which is clearly at fault (or maybe the fault lies within the PPD file, which Quark uses).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast