Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: unable to change doc. size when sending Quark XPress 2015 documents to Fiery IC-308

UPDATE:
    For those following along, just thought I should mention that even though I can print any range of document sizes I want just fine from programs like Acrobat, Word, etc., I thought I'd go into the Fiery Features in those programs anyway, just to see if "document size" is still unselectable/stuck on letter size, and indeed, it is.

So, there appears to be some piece of software that is allowing those applications to override the Fiery (as they should), but is preventing Quark XPress from doing so.

Is it (as I suggested once before) possibly the PPD that is the culprit? Not all applications use a PPD, but Quark is one of the ones that is well-known for depending on a PostScript PPD file for each printer.

When looking at the downloads on Konica's website, I'm puzzled as to why they supply updates for a PageMaker PPD, but not one for Quark (PageMaker is long-gone, but Quark XPress is still out there).

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

When they say "Pagemaker PPD", what they really mean is Red Book PPD--that is, an Adobe standard PPD without any custom extras.

This Adobe standard PPD can be used anywhere, including Quark.

Apple continues to change its underlying OS architecture, including the printing mechanism; I seem to recall that this started when you changed over to 10.10. Here's an example from one other software developer whose program functionality was broken by 10.10:

http://www.papercut.com/kb/Main/MacO...iteKnownIssues

EFI was forced to develop new drivers to accommodate these changes; have you implemented those? And what does Quark say? Are you on their forums about this? XPress is responsible for creating the Postscript code.

Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    When they say "Pagemaker PPD", what they really mean is Red Book PPD--that is, an Adobe standard PPD without any custom extras.

This Adobe standard PPD can be used anywhere, including Quark.

Apple continues to change its underlying OS architecture, including the printing mechanism; I seem to recall that this started when you changed over to 10.10. Here's an example from one other software developer whose program functionality was broken by 10.10:

http://www.papercut.com/kb/Main/MacO...iteKnownIssues

EFI was forced to develop new drivers to accommodate these changes; have you implemented those? And what does Quark say? Are you on their forums about this? XPress is responsible for creating the Postscript code.
    It's really hard to know exactly what "broke" the functionality. Before, all our Macs were on 10.6 and a mixture of Quark 7 and Quark 8.

In October, we got new Macs which were initially on 10.10 and Quark 2015 (since QXP8 won't work on newer OSes). We have one iMac on 10.10 and two on 10.11. We get this problem in both situations. We have not tried QXP15 with any other OS (our campus is requiring us to 'get with the newer OSes') and Quark 8 won't work operating systems. If it did, we wouldn't have upgraded that particular piece of software.

I debated about whether to start going on Quark's forum yet. If I were getting these printing problems universally (i.e. on all printers), then I would have assumed it was Quark's bug to fix. As this is only happening with the Fiery, I figured I should start with EFI, because Quark printing works fully with the Toshiba and Canon drivers we're using. I know companies like to point the finger at each other (with all of them pointing at Apple besides), so I figured I'd start with the one that seemed to have the better chance of actually having a fix. Also, I'm sure Quark's admins would probably say something like "since you're only having this problem with one printer, you should contact the printer/RIP vendor".

I have tried every version of the EFI/Konica IC-308 driver that are out there: version 1, version 1.1 and version 2.1. I've also tried substituting the PageMaker PPDs for the ones that get installed with the Fiery driver. No combination of the different driver versions/PPDs works properly when printing from Quark. All files sent still end up RIPping with a section of the image "cropped" down onto letter-size.

I also properly used the Fiery uninstaller each time I switched Fiery drivers. I spent the better part of an afternoon (right before the holidays) road testing each combination.

I have also implemented Quark's El Capitan upgrade for the machine(s) running 10.11, incidentally.
    Last edited by Andy McKinney; 01-05-2016 at 02:54 PM.

Firstly, Quark 2015 is not officially supported for your product, as the IC-308 was released at least a year before Quark 2015 came out. However we do want to help you to make this work.

I've spent a few hours on this one, and I can confirm I can successfully print various sizes from Quark 2015 to the Fiery IC-308. I tested 11x17, 12x18, 13x19, SRA3, Custom sizes.

The trick for me is that both Quark and the Fiery printer driver must be specifying the same - as per the example below. If you just specify the size in Quark, then half the time it gets it wrong. But if both match up, it's working 100% for me.

Name:  13x19.png
Views: 1702
Size:  137.1 KB

My test conditions:
    Quark 11.2
    MacOS 10.11.2
    Fiery IC-308 Driver v5.0.005 (downloaded from EFI.com) configured to print to an IC-308 hold queue.

Ps: Document size is supposed to be grayed out, it is specified upstream by the application. However Paper size can be set in our driver.

Thanks for the reply! I was pretty sure I'd tried what you said before, but went ahead and tried it again. I still get the same results: the image is "clipped" when it hits the RIP.

Here is a screenshot from the mac, showing the Quark layout on the left, the Quark print dialog on right top, and the Fiery Features on right bottom.

Name:  Mac-screenshot.jpg
Views: 1603
Size:  178.0 KB

So, "on paper", everything appears fine.

However, the document is still 'clipped' when it hits the RIP. Below is a screenshot from the RIPs held queue, so you can see the roam/preview on the right.

Name:  Fiery-screenshot.jpg
Views: 2095
Size:  177.1 KB

As you can see, the image appears to be 'pushed off' the top right edge of the sheet (ignore the white box around the blue corner graphic..I didn't bother to link that image).

One of my co-workers who has this same problem was able to get her whole image on the page by fiddling around with the "image shift" function under the "finishing" tab (which we usually only use for incremental shifting for lining up front/back). Of course, that's not ideal!

My test conditions:

OSX 10.11.2
    Quark 2015 11.2
    Fiery IC-308 driver:
    I've used both a 1.1 and 2.0 version. I cannot see a version "5" driver on either Konica or EFI's website. When I go through the download tree on EFI.com for Konica Minolta, I select my printer model (C1060), then the only choices for downloads for firey model/version are IC 308 v1.1 or v2.0.

Ahh that's a different issue from what I thought you had.

So I could replicate your issue, then I updated Quark (it just popped up an update to 11.02.01) and now the problem has gone away for me. Same file, printed same way, now is not off center after that update.

So either the update solves the problem, or that's the biggest fluke and I've missed something.

PS. Fiery IC308 v2.0 Driver, is also a Fiery driver 5 driver (5 refers to the driver codebase, sorry for the confusion).

Quote Originally Posted by Greta_C View Post
    Ahh that's a different issue from what I thought you had.

So I could replicate your issue, then I updated Quark (it just popped up an update to 11.02.01) and now the problem has gone away for me. Same file, printed same way, now is not off center after that update.

So either the update solves the problem, or that's the biggest fluke and I've missed something.

PS. Fiery IC308 v2.0 Driver, is also a Fiery driver 5 driver (5 refers to the driver codebase, sorry for the confusion).
    As luck would have it, QuarkUpdate won't work. I'm one of those users (as I've found on Quark's forum) who gets the error message "Quark Update cannot check for updates"), even after downloading QuarkUpdate 2.0.

I just went into the Update preferences and it's showing my current version as 11.2.0.0.

I don't suppose when you updated that you got a .PKG or .DMG file that is still saved, did you?

I've sent a PM to a Quark tech person in hopes they can fix my update problem, especially if you don't have a copy of the 11.2.1 updater.

EDIT: Quark tech rep just contacted me. Asked for my QuarkUpdate error log and said they'd get back to me on how to get the new update. Will post again when I get the updater and have a chance to test it.

Best,
    Andy
    Last edited by Andy McKinney; 01-07-2016 at 07:08 AM.

I don't suppose when you updated that you got a .PKG or .DMG file that is still saved, did you?
    Sorry no it was all done by the auto updater, which didn't leave a trace behind.

Greta:
    After some back-and-forth with Quark (who still couldn't get my AutoUpdate fixed), they finally gave me a install DMG for version 11.2.0.1 and, thank goodness, everything now works!

Many thanks for the time you spent working on this issue!

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

For anyone and everyone who finds this thread, this goes back to my original assertion: it's the Postscript print job that was faulty, and Quark is responsible for creating the Postscript print stream, not the driver--any driver. Quark was broken in this regard.

It was tricky, because it was broken only when interacting with the Fiery driver. But that could happen with any advanced driver.

I hope this helps others down the road. Always make sure your software is completely up to date before troubleshooting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast