+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fiery Command Workstation does not influence prints on Xerox 7830

Default Fiery Command Workstation does not influence prints on Xerox 7830

Hi. Our Xerox WorkCentre 7830 does not print accurate prints to our screen. Using Command Workstation and our Fiery E200-06, I was able to tweak the colors and brightness. However, since our change to a new location after reconnecting the printers to the server, the tweaks I made in Command Workstation no longer respond to the changes I made.

Any thoughts on this? At this moment I am out of ideas. So far I have:

-Updated the printer software
    -Updated the printer driver
    -Calibrated the printer

Thanks!

StarDigital is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor StarDigital is on a distinguished path

I'm not understanding what it is you mean. Are you talking about Screen profiles, pdfs, ??? Please define your process that you are having issues with.

Dan

Thanks for the reply Dan. Here is what happened:

Our printer was not printing correctly (too dark, too yellow), which led me to troubleshoot with Xerox. They told me to install Command Workstation and update our driver (We were using a 7500 driver on a 7800 printer for some reason). After that, I created a new Color Profile to fix the yellow problem. I also used "image enhance" to brighten the print a bit. This solution worked (Only for pdfs printed with Adobe Acrobat. Other file formats still printed dark and yellow).

However, our firm switched offices and after the move and reconnection of the server, the changes I made using Command Workstation were no longer responsive (too dark, too yellow).

I troubleshooted again with Xerox. This led me to update the printers software, which didn't work. This is where I'm at right now.

Do you use CWS5 to calibrate your printer on a regular basis? What instrument do you use for calibration? Best results would be with a spectro like the ES2000. How did you create a profile...? What paper do you use? What are your image quality settings? Do you print out of InDesign or Office applications...? Sorry but there is no simple answer to this problem.

You may also want to obtain the v2.0 software from Xerox for your Fiery Workcentre 7800 and check if that helps.

l-

I've used CWS5 to calibrate a few times with techs over the past few months. I used TIFFEN color strips for the calibration. ES2000 is for fine tuning the color right? I think we have a bigger problem though because we just want basic color accuracy. I want to be able to control that accuracy with the Command Workstation because that's what was working before. I created a profile in Command Workstation under "Device Center" > "Resources" > "Profiles". Image quality settings under the Xerox WC 7800-7970Series EFI Printing Preferences are: Print quality - Standard, Brightness: Printer's default, Use maximum printer density is checked, and Image Enhance is also checked. We print using Adobe Acrobat mostly for our renderings.

I will try to update the software on the Fiery to the latest and see if that helps.

Thank you guys for your time.

StarDigital is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor StarDigital is on a distinguished path

Ok LOHArchitects you should recalibrate more often than a couple times a month. On the main CWS screen you should see a button on the top that says calibrate (or go Control Alt C) (have the paper that you created your profile on in the printer and use it for calibration. Calibration will print color bars that your ES-2000 will scan and that in turn will adjust the calibration curves of your printer to match its current condition. You should do this at least weekly and for bests accuracy daily. But since you don't care too much about color accuracy stick with weekly ( i do it on monday morning since the weekend it is off and i does change.)

I believe that you may misunderstand the concept of calibration so here it goes: when you create a profile using Fiery Color Profiler Suite (FCPS) you are prompted to calibrate and then you create a profile on that paper using that new calibration set. That calibration set is then linked to that profile and any other you choose to link it to. You really on need one calibration set for all papers as all it does is: Find how much toner it takes to reach a certain density of that particular color/black. It register this every ten percent (old calibrating method) and creates its 'curve' based on that. All calculations for CMYK and Spot and RGB use that calibration curve calculation. As printers do shift color over time base on wear and tear, temperature, humidity, etc. it is important to calibrate the printer (readjust the calibration set) so your colors remain accurate.

OK?

Dan

Use Max Printer Density is bypassing your calibration.

Here's the juice on that -
    The Use Maximum Printer Density feature allows the user to choose to output colors at the maximum density of the printer engine.
    This allows for a user to utilize a larger available gamut resulting in punchier colors on printers that are performing beyond the average. This feature allows highly saturated colors to bypass calibration, so the color results may vary over time, depending upon the engine state. This feature applies to text, graphics and images.

So the question is - what do you class as 'accurate color'? Are you trying to match something? Another printer? A pantone color? Your monitor?

+ Reply to Thread