+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Color Click Results w/o Actually Printing

Default Color Click Results w/o Actually Printing

Hi I know this was brought up a while back then slowly fizzled away, but I am wondering if there is any update on this or if this can even be achieved.

What I am talking about is to be able to process a job in the queue and have it render results as far as what will click color and also b/w. This is an issue that I still have yet to find a fix for but would be a great feature to have.

I guess it would have to be tied into Grey settings as well because that would also affect the results such as RGB text in relation to Grey settings, would click as color or b/w.

Thank you and appreciate and feedback on if this is being looked at as a possible feature or if this has just been scrubbed all together.

Default RE: Color Click Results w/o Actually Printing

You can already do this with Fiery Imageviewer, part of the Graphic Arts Package Premium edition for servers or the Productivity Package for embedded Fierys.

You woud, RIP the job then check the pages with the inspector to see if there are any colored pixels.

Sorting jobs as color or black and white should be easy - just print the BW jobs as grayscale and they will never incur a color click.

The challenge is if a job is mixed and you want color clicks only for non-grayscale pages. It would take you a ling time to sort our every page with ImageViewer. For this issue, set Black and Gray processing to Text/Graphics/Images. Disable use embedded profiles to be safe. Finally if you have professional design files with crop marks that may be colored "registration" then create a color in Spot On called "Registration" (spell it exactly as you see it in the design file) and define that color as 100% K, and 0% C, M , and Y.

This should make pages that appear to be grayscale only print as BW not color clicks.

I hope this helps.

~Lou

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 is working their way up in the world

Lou, the original request awhile back was to have a quick reference, perhaps in the job log, as to how many pages are color and how many are black--without printing the file.

Process and hold does not log that information. Only physically printing the file will log quantity of color vs black pages printed.

StarDigital is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor StarDigital is on a distinguished path

agreed. A way to know beforehand would be great. Perhaps a summary bar in image viewer. And/Or a separate processing column in the job log

dan

Thanks Lou I appreciate the response but I think Adam nailed it on the head and is in fact the feature that would help most users that are processing mutipage documents such as booklets. With quick turns it is really difficult to take in a file and be asked to give a quote on it without actually going through each page and counting the number of (what appear to be "black" pages) and then pre-press having to manually change each "black" page to click as black or the operator to manually call-out each page.

Also this brings up another issue when talking about Grey settings. If you have all three options enabled photos for instance that have anywhere equal values print using only K which is correct however it does this with a color photo leaving patches of only K toner in the photo while the rest is printing in color. For this reason we do not enable "images" in that option.

I don't want to derail my own thread but yeah I agree with Adam this seems like something that could very much so be implemented and I can assure you, operators would thank you 10x over.

Default RE: Color Click Results w/o Actually Printing

Hi all.

Understood and agreed. We will have a look at making this get logged.

And your correction is accurate, setting gray processing for RGB images can give dropouts on some newer Fierys but on many we have automated the replacement so this does not happen to true color images. You might want to try your system to see if you really get the dropouts you expect.

You all probably know this but the best way to guarantee BW clicks is to pre-convert the pages to real grayscale. You can do this with Fiery Jobflow or with Pitstop.

~Lou

Thanks Lou I really really appreciate it.

TBH, because this has been an issue for so long, I really cant believe Acrobat has not included this in their pre-flight options. It sort of does, but the results can be difficult as well as time consuming to parse.

Lou I think also if this was tied into how the fiery Grey settings are set prior to processing, this would give a more accurate result. That way say for example the operator processes the job, runs a MR and finds out his grey setting is not to his liking, he can make the change, through it back in hold, then reprocess and see how it affected his click counts. At that point then he can do any manual tweeks to the file as needed.

Thanks again I really do appreciate it.

kmbs-dcd is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor kmbs-dcd is on a distinguished path

Default Percent coverage?

While we are on the wish list train, one other thing that would be useful is a coverage calculator. Once the job is processed, the Fiery should be able to determine the percent of toner coverage of each channel for a page or a job. Although it is infrequent I've seen a growing need to determine toner coverage for shops who are on a supplies not included support contract.

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 is working their way up in the world

Agreed. Make that part of GAPPE. In fact, make it a complete cost estimating tool as well as just plain coverage--the shop owner plugs in his toner cost and his markup, and maybe his service click cost, and from any given job gets out a decent estimate.

But the core of it needs to be "what percent of the page is covered in each of CMYK".

Hi Lou I was wondering if you have any updates on this. Is this something that sounds like is being seriously considered or not being given much attention?

Appreciate the update if there is one

+ Reply to Thread