+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fiery HotFolders + JDF/JMF

Default Fiery HotFolders + JDF/JMF

I am researching how to better automate our printing here, and I'm curious to know how some of the more seasoned JDF users utilize the product. I've done some reading, and gone through the appropriate workflow courses on JDF and Fiery Workflows on the Global University site, as well as the CIP4 JDF Expert course videos. (pretty overwhelming)

Somehow through all that I'm still missing what specifically is the route that a "JDF job" goes through.

I am using my desktop as a sandbox to learn more about JDF and Fiery HotFolders before I implement it on the server that we use for our automation tool (PlanetPress) Right now I have Command Workstation running on my desktop, connected to a Konica C8000 BizHub. (Graphic Arts Premium Package)

On that first point, what would go into the hotfolder? The PDF or the JDF ticket? I see the JDF Ticket option in my Acrobat Pro X menu and can create tickets there, as well as submit them, but if I have to open the PDF to access it, is that true automation?

Do you need to edit XML files to use JDF, or is the Adobe Acrobat GUI / JDF Presets sufficient? I ask this because I try to associate a JDFExpressTicket with a PDF, and I'll get an error "The JDF file is not the required type. The Root node is not a product node". So I figure I have to go into the preset and change it from Combined to Product. Is this typical of using JDFExpressTickets - or am I doing it wrong?

I guess at the end of the day I'm looking for someone who is currently using JDF, how they're using it, and if leveraging Fiery HotFolders is the way to go. It sure looks like it is.

...not to mention how JMF fits in.

I look forward to learning!

I guess it's infrequently used?

StarDigital is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor StarDigital is on a distinguished path

Master v1.00.jdf.pdf

Rename this to the jdf This was my end result after my own experimentation with JDF I commented where you'll need to make changes. You need to create a hotfolder just for JDF and submit the JDF to it. That sends it to the CWS with the info included in the JDF. I found it was too much work to implement into our workflow so i abandoned it there. Sorry.

Hope this helps.

Dan

I can provide some basic information to try to help.

First, a few basics. The JDF job ticket is the file that contains all of the instructions for how you want the job processed. The JDF ticket is typically generated by job management software, such as EFI Pace, or job submission software, such as Digital StoreFront. As you mentioned, you can also use Acrobat Professional to create JDF tickets and submit them. This is a convenient tool to use for testing purposes.

The JDF ticket can have the PDF job file embedded in the ticket, similar to attaching a file to an e-mail. Or the ticket can have a reference to the location of the file. If the ticket only has a reference to the file, the Fiery would have to be able to have access to the job files in that location. You can configure common global paths for JDF in Fiery Configure or using the Fiery Integration Manager which can be downloaded and installed using the latest Fiery Software Manager. For initial testing purposes, I would suggest embedding the PDF if possible to minimize the variables.

You can submit JDF jobs to the Fiery in a couple of ways. One method that was mentioned earlier is to define a Fiery Hot Folder to submit the JDF. As StarDigital mentioned, you have to select JDF as the Input Format when defining the Hot Folder. You would then drop the JDF file into the Hot Folder. If the PDF is not embedded in the JDF, the job will show an error at the Fiery if the Fiery is not able to access the location of the file. You can select the job in the Held queue and edit JDF settings. In the Run List tab, you will see the link that the Fiery cannot reference. You can click the Add button and browse to the location of the PDF file. You can also use the Media tab to map any media definitions in the JDF to Fiery Paper Catalog media or add the JDF media to the Fiery Paper Catalog.

Another way to submit JDF jobs is to use Job Messaging Format (JMF) to send the JDF definition directly to the Fiery. In effect, this is similar to sending an e-mail to the Fiery. The JMF can include the JDF ticket or it can reference the JDF ticket as a separate file (similar to the JDF ticket referencing the PDF file). When you configure JDF in Fiery Configure or Fiery Integration Manager, you will see a JMF URL listed. This is the URL that you want to use when you configure your JDF job submission software to submit jobs directly to the Fiery. If you are configuring Acrobat JDF Job Definitions, you would use the Submission Manager and create a new Submission Setup configured to "Convert to a MIME package and submit to a JMF device" and enter your JMF URL.

You can use either of these submission methods when testing from Acrobat. You may also want to find out what JDF submission methods are available to you in your automation tool, Planet Press. If, for example, Planet Press does not give you the option of saving a JDF file to a location such as a Hot Folder, you may want to focus on submitting to the JMF URL.

Default using JMF ...

Hi Bob,

thanks for your overview of ways to submit job tickets to the Fiery. I would like to do so programmatically, but I'm a bit stuck. How do I send JMF to the Fiery? I assume it has to go to http://:8010 in some way, but I have been unable to find out how.
    Is there documentation or a quick tutorial for coders around somewhere?

Regards,
    Markus

Default using JMF ...

Hi Bob,

thanks for your overview of ways to submit job tickets to the Fiery. I would like to do so programmatically, but I'm a bit stuck. How do I send JMF to the Fiery? I assume it has to go to http://:8010 in some way, but I have been unable to find out how.
    Is there documentation or a quick tutorial for coders around somewhere?

Regards,
    Markus

+ Reply to Thread